i want to change the number of chains

lizc

Question

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-4halfHourAfghan.html

i am making this using regular yarn

the original pattern calls for 64 stitches/chains, my question is this: is this pattern multiples of 2, so if i made my chain 100 it would work;

i had original doubled it and didnt appear to be coming out correctly, but that could have been a "me" thing

thanks

3 answers to this question

I just looked at the pattern; yes, any even number of foundation chains should work. Not sure why the doubling didn't work. It might be that it was so many so you miscounted.

Here is a trick I learned some time ago. When making a long foundation chain, make a couple of extra ones, since it's so much easier to take out extra ones later than to come short.

In your case, it's just a multiple of two, so you can still make some extra chains (just in case you made an odd number) and stop wherever you like.

I always make sure how many extras I made, so if the pattern says something like "(whatever) stitch in the last chain" instead of specifying exactly how many chains you are skipping to get to that last chain. I guess that kind of defeats the purpose of making extras if you have to know where the "true" end is, but you can usually tell from the pattern where the last stitch goes anyway.

:cheer Just do 100 CH ( or however many you want to.) then work as many repeats as you can along that CH, making sure that you finish as the pattern row says to.

Any surplus CH can be picked back.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

I believe the original pattern should have said to chain 65, since the first st is made in the 2nd chain and the first row ends up with 64.

You'd have to ch 101 to get 100 stitches, and it should work out. Each row should start with a sc and end with a dc.

Archived