Decrease question..

Ga_Rebel

Question

Ok so I am thinking of working on a shawl and the pattern says

" Starting in the second chain from hook *decrease in the first 2 stitches at the beginning of a row, sc across, decrease in the last two stitches, ch 1, turn. Repeat * until you run out of stitches"

So you decrease two times in the beginning of the row and end of the row. Turn and repeat?

Here is a link to the pattern: http://www.crochetme.com/issue_1/easiest_shawl_ever.html

12 answers to this question

No, Rebel, you decrease once at each end. You do one decrease over 2 stitches. If you are using sc, you draw a loop up in each of 2 stitches and yarn over and pull through both loops. If you are using dc, you yarn over and pull up a loop in the first stitch, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull up a loop in the second stitch, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, then yarn over once more and pull through remaining loops. Does that help?

Ok for the most part I understand this pattern. Other than the decreasing it seems pretty easy. So Do I do the foundation chain then one row of singles then start the decreasing or do I start decreasing after the foundation chain.

A link to the patterb is in above post.

Although it appears that you begin your decrease immediately after the beginning chain, I've never seen it done that way, and don't really see the point. I suspect it was easier for her to write it that way, instead of having to write a first row, and then a second (and all other) row(s). She didn't really write a pattern out for you. I would do a row of sc and begin decreasing on the second row.

Archived