toy flying disk

sandyrepope

Question

I've been practicing crocheting in the round and wound up with a rather large circle. While working on it someone ask if I was making a frisbee flying disk. I got to looking at it and realized that it did indeed look like one. I was thinking that since the outside ring tends to fold under that I could let it and put something inside the folded edge that could give it some weight. I think I'd need something heaver than fiberfill.

Does anyone know what would work? It would need to be something that wouldn't move around when it's in the ring.

I tried to google a search for a crochet pattern for one of these but couldn't find anything. I guess crochet has never been used for a flying disk before.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

How thick is your yarn? Could you stiffen it with starch the way they do with doilies?

Maybe you could get a sheet of plastic, cut in into a round plastic disk to fit, punch tiny holes around the outside of the plastic disk, then slip stitch it to the frisbee? :think

Just some ideas kickin' around at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night... ;)

I think that whatever you use in the ring has to be very light...something like florist foam, or styrofoam of some kind. Otherwise, it'll be too heavy.

I wonder if you can buy smaller versions of the foam things they use in swimming pools; the pool noodles. That might work.

Good luck! And don't forget to post what you do. That would definately count as an ORIGINAL pattern!

I've got my first experiment project finished. I took a plastic lid and cut the center out to use so it would keep it's shape when thrown. I crocheted a circle slightly larger than the plastic ring then I crocheted the rows without any increases so that the edge would naturally curl under and around the ring. I finished with rounds with decreases until the edge touched the inside of the ring. I then whipstitched the crochet around the plastic ring. I used ww 4 ply yarn because it's all I have here at the house. It doesn't seem too heavy but I need to try it out to see just how good it will do.

My first attempt turned out to be 7 inches across. I'm not sure if that is large enough so my next attempt will be larger. I've also been thinking about using cotton yarn on the next one.

I'll probably try writing a pattern as soon as I get one that turns out good. It'll take me a while since I'm a slow crocheter.

Thanks

I've found out that making a flying disk isn't going to work. A friend of mine explained it to me but I'm afraid I didn't understand it. He says that the crochet isn't aerodynamic so it won't fly. I have no idea what this is so I'm just taking his word for it and moving on to a project that will work.

Thanks

Hi!

I agree with the not aerodynamic thought...at least for outside. But!!! :idea This may be one of those great indoor toys! I am guessing it would be less likely to break other objects and not be as painful if it hit someone.

Maggie :manyheart

Archived