Help!!!! Having trouble deciphering!

MarciBanks

Question

I am fairly new to the world of Crochet; my grandmother taught me years and years ago and I just recently picked it up again. What a stress relief! I am working on a Granny Ripple Afghan and an totally confused with some of the directions. I am hoping someone can help me out! Unfortuantely my Grandma is no longer with me, but I know she is smiling from heaven and remembering all the hours she and I sat together with our yarn.

Here are the directions:

Note: To work in space (sp) on following rows, work between C1s or 3-dc groups.

Row 3: Skip first sp (between turning ch and next 3-dc group); 3 dc in each of next 3 sps; in next ch-3 sp work shell; *3 dc in each of next 2 sps, C1 in next sp, skip sp between C1s, C1 in next sp; 3 dc in each of next 2 sps, in next ch-3 sp work shell; rep from * across to last 4 sps; 3 dc in each of next 3 sps, dc in last sp (between last 3-dc group and turning ch-2); ch 2, turn.

Rep Row 3 once more with white, changing to new color in last dc; work turning ch-2 in new color.

UMMMMMMM, I like to think of myself as fairly intelligent, but I am completely LOST on this. I have tried at least a dozen times and have ripped it out each time.....

Anyone able to help me?

Thanks so much!

11 answers to this question

:cheer It is hard to give advise on a row of a pattern without the row before.

If we have the row before, we can do a sample to work out what you need to do.

Can you write out the previous row or is that against the rules?

If it is, send me a PM with the row.

I can see roughly what you are doing but it would be easier with the other row.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Colleen:hug

Colleen, you are a doll! I am so frustrated!

The Row before it is as follows:

Sip first 3sc, (3dc in next sc, skip next 2 sc) 3 times; in next sc work shell of (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc); *(skip next 2 sc, 3 dc in next sc) twice, skip 2 sc; C1 in next sc, skip 4 sc, C1 in next sc; (skip 2 sc, 3 dc in next sc) twice; skip 2 sc, in next sc work shell of (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc); rep from * to last 12 sc, skip 2 sc, (3 dc in next sc, sk 2 sc) 3 times, dc in last sc; ch 2, turn.

C1 is as follows:

YO, insert hook in specified st and dras up a lp to height of a dc: 3 lps now on hook

YO and draw through first 2 lps on hook: 2 lps remain on hook

YO again, insert hook into same st and draw up a lp to height of a dc: 4 lps now on hook

YO and draw through first 2 lps on hook: 3 lps remain on hook

YO and draw through all 3 lps: C1 made

Shell is as follows:

Work (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) all in the specified st or sp

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Colleen!

Marci

:cheer Are you sure that you want to do this pattern.

It is very well written but row 2 is a bit fiddly if you do not know what you are doing. I realise that onece you get going, you do the same thing over and over.

:cheer I would start with a simple Ripple if I was you.

:cheer If you wish, I can find one for you which is very easy to do but very effective, especially if you are using more than one colour.

:cheer I will post the link to the ones I have done.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/RoundRipplestar.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/Zig-Zagrug.jpg

Let me know if you would like one of these patterns or if you would still like more help with the Granny Ripple.

I know you said that your Grandma had taught you to crochet, mine did too, when I was about 7 years old which was 57 years ago.

You never forget things like that do you and I just hope that my grandchildren remember me for more than the growling when they were giggling instead of going to bed tonight.

I made the mistake of saying I would have 4 of them stay the night so we have a 2 1/2yr old on the floor, an 8yr old on a stretcher and a 9yr old and a 5yr old in the double bed. All in the one small bedroom. They are 2 lots of cousins so they enjoy each others company.

They are all asleep now, thank goodness. Took them until about 10pm though.

Must be off as it is now 11.35pm and no doubt the kids will be up early, even though they were late to bed.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Here are the directions:

Note: To work in space (sp) on following rows, work between C1s or 3-dc groups.

Row 3: Skip first sp (between turning ch and next 3-dc group); 3 dc in each of next 3 sps; in next ch-3 sp work shell; *3 dc in each of next 2 sps, C1 in next sp, skip sp between C1s, C1 in next sp; 3 dc in each of next 2 sps, in next ch-3 sp work shell; rep from * across to last 4 sps; 3 dc in each of next 3 sps, dc in last sp (between last 3-dc group and turning ch-2); ch 2, turn.

Hi Marci

Not sure exactly what's giving you trouble, but I think I can see what's going on. . .

The bit at the beginning and end of the row is setting up for the stitch repeat and making sure you have nice matching edges. The beginning part ends with:

in next ch-3 sp work shell; (3dc, 3ch, 3dc) -- this is the top of your "hill".

Now the repeat section begins:

*3 dc in each of next 2 sps, (you're going down the slope. . .

Cl in next sp, skip sp between Cls, Cl in next sp; (this is the bottom of the "valley" -- you're making a decrease by skipping a space)

3 dc in each of next 2 sps, (you're climbing up the other side of the slope)

in next ch-3 sp work shell; (you're at the top of the hill :))

rep from * across to last 4 sps; (Keep doing this until you have 4 spaces left, then follow the instructions for ending the row.

I've not made one of these but this is what I think the pattern's saying. Does that make it any clearer at all, maybe help you visualise what's going on?

YES!!!!! I was able to do row two without an issue, but when I started the third row I was lost completely -- and for some reason, I just couldn't get it for the life of me! But the way you described it was perfect -- Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will try this tonight! Can I call on you for help if I need it!?

:cheer Yay, that's great, Marci!

I find it always really helps me if I can "see" it in my head, rather than trying to blindly follow the instructions! After a few rows you should find the zigzaginess :) is much more pronounced and that will make it easier to know whereabouts you are in the pattern.

Yes, please do let us know how you get on, and if you need more help I'll certainly try my best; if I don't know, I'm sure someone here will :hook

I made the mistake of saying I would have 4 of them stay the night so we have a 2 1/2yr old on the floor, an 8yr old on a stretcher and a 9yr old and a 5yr old in the double bed. All in the one small bedroom.

Colleen, I need your help here with the terminology. . .

What's a stretcher? Here it's something they strap you to before they cart you away in the ambulance. :2eek

:cheer Sound like a torture method I suppose but it is only a camp bed. It is similar to the ambulance bed but without the wheels.

I dont know how they got their name but we had a wood and canvas one when I was a child, ours are metal and sort of plastic. They come apart and are easy to store under the bed.

Great to bring out when there are too many kids for the beds.

We do have a double bed in our spare room but with 4 little kids staying, it did not seem too clever to put them all together. I dont think there would have been much sleeping. The littlest loves to sleep on her little bed on the floor. They love to giggle which is nice but not at 10pm.

We had a good day yesterday, going to my sister's to play with two of her grandchildren, then to swimming class with one of my Grandaughters.

Always good when the mums turn up to take them home.

I am pleased that you helped sort Marci's problem.

Now I just need to find a pattern for her and she will be so busy we wont even see her here.

Great to chat.

All the best.

Colleen.:hug

Hi Colleen, sounds like you are having a marvellous time with the little 'uns :)

Thanks for explaining about the stretcher! I knew it couldn't be the ambulance one :laughroll

I'm sure your grandchildren will remember all the time and love you so obviously give them :hug

Archived