Cleaning old doilies

Lefthook

While cleaning out my parents' house a few years ago I found a box (blanket sized) filled to the brim with doilies made by my great aunts. One of them is Psalm 23, about 23 x 22 inches. I think the others are oblong pineapple designs. They were probably done in the fifties. I only have a few of them left (No, I wasn't so stupid as to throw them out. I wish I had them back, though.) I would like to display them but they are yellowed with age. How do I clean and starch them? Also, some good-hearted soul put the Psalm 23 one in a frame on black velvet, then GLUED hot pink ribbon around the edge, very carefully gluing directly on the doily about a quarter inch on each edge. How do I remove that, besides very carefully? :think

Thanks, and Happy Easter!

For the yellowing, try Oxyclean. I think I saw something on the board about this yellowing issue before and oxyclean worked for that person. For the glue, now that may be a bit tricky. Maybe you could use an iron set on steam and hold it above the piece to loosen the glue, but not make it fluid, so it would be easier to pull off without tearing anything. I don't know if it would work, others may have a better idea.

I would take it to your local cleaners.. Ask them to clean them. There is this magic cleaning stuff we use at ours that will take the yellow right out.

Example of how I know..

This lady brought in her wedding dress 60 yrs old, very very yellow.. The thing looks like the day she bought it now, as it was soaked in the bucket with the special solution and its white again. She cried when she picked it up, she said it looks like I just went and picked it up at the store. We have also had ppl bring in old tapestry, and needlework that our lady gets the yellow right out. I call her my miracle worker.

Archived