Adding Embellishments

KnicKnac

Question

How do you all add any embellishments to your pieces?

I am having a hard time figuring out how to add little crystals inside of a flower. Do you just glue it? Then do you have to hand wash the piece?

And do you people usually sew your flowers and such to the crochet piece?

What about appliques? Do you sew them in or iron them on? The dress I made for my daughter I just glue gunned the flowers and two out of three of them fell off before we got home!

HELP!!! :)

4 answers to this question

Depending where and what you are attaching, you could use sewing thread for beads, haven't ever used glue except on things that won't ever be laundered, like the easter baskets I made last year. they were hot glued., I haven't done any crochet that would take well to iron on either, in my experience iron ons only work on things that don't stretch. I did a t-shirt iron on once on a shirt with some stretch it didn't last long.

Mainly I would look for beads you can either sew on or work into the crochet. I really haven't found much else that works on most crocheted items, the exception being decorative home items that just sit somewhere and aren't touched too much.

I've never glued anything on. Generally speaking, if you are adding beads you thread them onto the yarn before you start the piece (or before adding the trim if that's where the beads are going). I will sometime do the same thing with post buttons, especially if its a garment for a baby or toddler, to increase the choking safety. I started that when I made a whole basket of various teddy bears for my SIL when she was expecting. I wanted to make sure that the eyes of the bears, which were buttons, would stay put, so I threaded them on before I started, placing them as I went.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of variety we see in this thread.

Good luck!

Archived