Pattern Help Please

kjdfairy2

Question

Okay, I am trying to make this dress: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_crochet/article/0,,HGTV_3260_2820290,00.html

And am having a hard time with the pattern. I am new to reading patterns, so maybe it's just me. But can someone read this and tell me if it makes sense?

First off, I watched the show the other day and in the show, to make a size 1(12months) she says to ch 48 but the written pattern says 46. So that is wrong for sure.

I can get up to the point of one row of shell stitches done, but am lost as to how and where to put my shell stitches for the next rows.

Also, I want to make the crochet part of the dress longer than the pattern shows to do. So I'm guessing I just keep doing rows of the shell stitch.

Can someone put this into easier terms for me?

TIA :)

3 answers to this question

Okay... I'm gonna give this a shot.

It looks to me like you make the shell into the single crochet that you made in the first row and you make the single crochet in the center of the shell - so you're doing opposite of what you did on the first row. It sorta makes sense, 'cause if you put the shell on top of the shell and the single crochet on the single crochet you'd have a really lumpy fabric!

So shell in the sc, sc in the middle of the shell...

Hope htat helps!

I found this: http://crochet.about.com/library/blsolidshell.htm and the pictures really helped me. I thought I was putting my needle in the wrong place, but I guess not.

I'm using Caron Soft WW yarn in watermelon and found awesome fabric to match. But I just started a test one in a cotton thread (my first time with this kind) and it's much easier to see all the "holes".

I'll post a pic when I'm all done with this one. Let's just hope I can get my front and back to be the same size.

As far as adult size, I don't see any problems making it bigger. Just take your measurements and make sure you do enough chains. :think ????:think My guess...but don't really know.

Thanks.

Archived