Help with a pattern, please!

mom23cutiepies

Question

Hello!

I'm a fairly new crocheter and can't figure out exactly what to do with some of the instructions for a hat pattern I'm making. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

Here's where I'm confused...

Rounds 3-4:

Make a single crochet in the first stitch and move the marker to the stitch just made. Make 2 single crochet in the next stitch. I get this part, but then there are some instructions in () that are as follows which I don't get.

(Make a single crochet in the next stitch, make 2 single crochet in the next stitch) 7 times. (24 single crochet made on round 3; 36 single crochet made on round 4)

HELP? I'm sure it's very easy, but for some reason, I can't figure it out and when I do what I think is right..it doesn't look right. :think

THANKS in advance!

Kelly

5 answers to this question

ok - you got the first part.

then in row 3 you start a pattern of 1 sc, 2 sc (in one stitch) and repeat that 7 times - that makes 21 stiches plus your first 3 for a total of 24.

In row 4 you are doing the same pattern 1 sc, 2 sc so you will have a total of 36 stitches.

In each of row 3 and 4 you are doing a sc in one stitch and two sc in the following stitch.

Hope that helps. I don't think I worded it well. :)

you just make a single crochet in the next stitch of the row below then make 2 single crochets in the next stitch, one single crochet in the next, two single crochets in the next, etc...all the way around which will be 7 repeats of the directions in parenthases. You are doing an increase round, by making 2 sc in every other stitch you are making the round bigger. you have 24 sc in the round before this one and will end up with 36 in this round. that's all the last statement means.

:cheer Basicly what you are being requested to do is, increase into the first stitch and not into the next, increase into the next, not into the next.......

You have 8 stitches on the first round so on the second round you increased into all 8 stitches which means you increased 8 times. (16sts) On round 3 you also increase 8 times so you have a single stitch between each increase. (24sts)

Round 4 will be the same but with 2 single stitches between the increases. (32sts)

This means you are always increasing 8 stitches on each round.

Depending on the style of hat you are making, you will stop increasing at some stage and work straight. (Remember, your work does not turn into a bowl shape until you have done several rows without shaping.)

I find it much easier to actually join each round with a SS, CH1 then start the next round. You can always find the beginning of your row. I know that some people do not like the join line but it never bothered me at all.

:cheer Hope this is helpful.

Colleen

Archived