Need help with squares

hazelsmrf

Question

I seem to have a problem where I make the simplest mistakes but am able to make more complicated projects too. Ugh.

My latest headache is this: I'm trying to make a 12 inch square, I'm at about 9 inches now but I'm coming across with a little problem. Where I start my rows every time is quite noticeable, am I doing the slip stitch in initial 3rd chain wrong somehow? It would seem pretty self explanatory, I mean... I'm doing a slip stitch in the 3rd chain! How can I get something like that wrong? :(

It's not as noticeable in the pictures as it is in person but it's still quite noticeable. I guess if it was just one square it wouldn't be a big deal but I need several squares and I guess you won't be able to ignore the imperfection if it's repeated many times.

crochetsquare2.gif

crochetsquare.gif

4 answers to this question

You are doing it right. That space happens when double crocheting. There are a couple of different things you can try though.

1. You can ignore it. It is suppose to be there after all.

2. You can replace the chain 3 with a single crochet and chain 2. I picked up that tip here on Crochetville and it works really well.

3. You can do a chain 2 and then double crochet in the same stitch. Then when you join at the end of the round, be sure to join in the first double crochet. I've used this trick on lots of squares and it isn't noticeable at all.

Your square looks good. Are you making an afghan?

:cheer The join at the end of a round, is a fact of life but it can be less visible if it is in a different place.

I am not certain exactly what you are doing at the start but I will assume you are doing 4 or 6 CH which are joined with a SS to form a circle. Normally, if you are working in DCs, you would do CH 3 to stand as the first DC, then do 2 or 3 more, depending on the instructions.

Here is the difference.

Do the CH to start and join, now, on the first round of the pattern, CH 5 to stand as 1DC and 2CH (for the corner Space) then work the groups of DCs until you have 3 groups, then work the rest of the first group (2 or 3 DC) and join with a SS into the 3rd CH. (4 Groups of DC and 4 CH2 corners)

Next round, SS into the corner SP, CH 5, 2DC into the same place, 1DC into each DC to the next corner, 2DC, CH2, 2DC into the corner. Continue to the end of the round where you will do the last DC into the same place as the CH5 at the beginning of the row. Join with a SS into the 3rd CH.

Just keep doing this and the join is almost invisible.

You will need to adapt these instructions to the pattern you are doing.

If this seems like gibberish, just send me a PM with info on the pattern you are using and I will try to make it clearer.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

Hi hazelsmrf

I like Yarn Duck's suggestion #3 and use it often. It really does help in avoiding "holes" :eek at the beginning of a row or round.

I wasn't sure though if it was the appearance of the slip stitch join itself that was worrying you. If so, here are a couple of ways to make it look neater:

1. When ready to join, drop the loop from your hook. Insert hook into the stitch or chain you want to join as if you were going to work a stitch into it. Slip the dropped loop back onto the hook and pull through.
  2. Work as above but insert the hook through the stitch to be joined from the back (left to right for a right-handed person), pick up the dropped loop and pull through.

Your squares look very pretty! If you find a solution and method you like, do let us know what worked best :)

You are doing it right. That space happens when double crocheting. There are a couple of different things you can try though.

1. You can ignore it. It is suppose to be there after all.

2. You can replace the chain 3 with a single crochet and chain 2. I picked up that tip here on Crochetville and it works really well.

3. You can do a chain 2 and then double crochet in the same stitch. Then when you join at the end of the round, be sure to join in the first double crochet. I've used this trick on lots of squares and it isn't noticeable at all.

Your square looks good. Are you making an afghan?

Thanks, that actually makes me feel great that it's not some horrible mistake I made and just a consequence of using DCs. I'll try both of your tips to the end of the square and see what works best for me. I'm hoping to make a bearghan, but I haven't really made anything using squares yet, my projects so far have been poncho, 2 afghans (but one whole piece) and 2 bags.

The join at the end of a round, is a fact of life but it can be less visible if it is in a different place.

I am not certain exactly what you are doing at the start but I will assume you are doing 4 or 6 CH which are joined with a SS to form a circle. Normally, if you are working in DCs, you would do CH 3 to stand as the first DC, then do 2 or 3 more, depending on the instructions.

Here is the difference.

Do the CH to start and join, now, on the first round of the pattern, CH 5 to stand as 1DC and 2CH (for the corner Space) then work the groups of DCs until you have 3 groups, then work the rest of the first group (2 or 3 DC) and join with a SS into the 3rd CH. (4 Groups of DC and 4 CH2 corners)

Next round, SS into the corner SP, CH 5, 2DC into the same place, 1DC into each DC to the next corner, 2DC, CH2, 2DC into the corner. Continue to the end of the round where you will do the last DC into the same place as the CH5 at the beginning of the row. Join with a SS into the 3rd CH.

Just keep doing this and the join is almost invisible.

It's not gibberish to me, it's actually the exact pattern I'm following (DC in each DC and 2DC, ch 2, 2DC in corners). Actually I think you're right, I shouldn't be doing the join here. The original pattern I was following had a hole in the middle too, not just in the corners, so where I'm joining I'm SUPPOSED to be doing a chain 5. I didn't like that though, too many holes for me for what will end up being a child's afghan, I wanted it to be more whole so I removed the middle hole and never thought of the joining issue it would create. Next square will be joined in the corners! I never would have thought of it, so simple, thanks!

I wasn't sure though if it was the appearance of the slip stitch join itself that was worrying you. If so, here are a couple of ways to make it look neater:

Hmm, I don't think it's the slip stitch that's bothering me, but maybe.

Archived