Sinfonia yarn

jenuine226

A couple people have mentioned Sinfonia cotton yarn in their posts lately, and I am quite curious about it. What is it like? Good or bad to work with? How similar is it LB Microspun? How does it wear; is it durable? Is it DK weight?

All that I have been able to find out about it is that it is mercerized cotton and is a little splitty, but worth the headache the splittiness might cause because it's so silky smooth. I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some more light on it.

Also, I have been searching for a place to buy this yarn. The only place I have found that carries it is Hobby Lobby, but that chain hasn't made it out to where I live yet. Has anyone been able to find it elsewhere? I have already searched on eBay; couldn't find a listing for it. I did find two online stores that carried it, but they charge $6 :eek per skein. (I think I read it is $3.99 at Hobby Lobby?) (What is a reasonable price range for this yarn?)

I made myself a little headscarf over the weekend with Sinfonia, and I really like it. It's a soft cotton, but stretchier than you'd think. It's also quite durable. I let my friend's 4 year old daughter play with it to keep her entertained when we were at an outdoor art festival, and she abused the heck out of it, with no problems. It also have great stitch definition, I think. Pretty easy to take care of, too. I didn't have too much of a problem with it splitting - I'm making something with microspun, and I've found it has a little more of a tendency to split, but it's not too bad, either. Microspun is softer than Sinfonia, but it's a little bit like apples and oranges. Microspun I think also has great stitch definition.

I did buy it at Hobby Lobby, and I haven't seen it at Michael's (they sell Paton's Grace, instead), and I paid $4/skein for it. Looks like you can order it online through their website for the same price, but then you'll have to factor in shipping as well.

As for the weight, I'd say it's a sport-weight. And comes in some nice colors.

I've never tried the Sinfonia, since I too do not have an Hobby Lobby near me, but someone recommended it to me as a substitute for Paton's Grace, if that is at all helpful.

I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't be terribly similar to Microspun, since it's cotton and microfiber tends to be much lighter weight.

When I make a fuzzy/furry shawl, wrap or scarf, I usually use Sinfonia with it. Makes it sturdier and it crochets up nicely.

• 5 years later...

Archived