What are your treasured Crochet Guides?

I'm curious as to what other Crocheters have for reference books.

My favorite is The Harmony Guide to Crochet Stitches. Great color photos and illustrations as well as easy to follow stitch guides. There is also a follow up book about 200 stitches, or something like that, but I haven't been able to find a copy locally.

I also have a late 1800 edition of Therese de Dillmont's "Encyclopedia of Needlework" that I bought at a library used book sale ages ago. There is a lengthy chapter on Crochet as well as Irish Crochet. I remember buying it in high school because at the time I was into Macrame and Embroidery, but the other chapters and antiquated sewing and needlearts were fascinating and still are. This book was printed in France, and the directions are for Europeans, not us Americans. With a little patience (read as Lots of Patience!), it's easy to follow.

I've also admired some of the new stitch books at Borders and Barnes & Noble. I too, like those books that lay flat, and I really like the spiral bound hardcovers. Anyone else see or buy those?

Please post your favorites. I'm sure other people would like to know what other Crocheter's are using!

I have an older copy of "The Complete Encyclopedia of Needlework" (Mildred Graves Ryan) which is a pretty good reference tool & is one of those spiral bound books. Then, "Encyclopedia of Crochet"(Donna Kooler), "Freeform Knitting & Crochet"(Jenny Dowde), & "Tapestry Crochet"(Carol Ventura). Also have reference books on drawing, tatting, and rug making techniques. I have seen one of de Dillmont's book, love the Irish crochet.

:) Alosha

Since I just recently took up crocheting again, I haven't got many books. In fact, I just have one guide, Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. I checked several out of the library and decided that was the best. I plan to get more, though!

I just bought "Encyclopedia of Crochet"(Donna Kooler) based on Alosha's and Claire's recommendation. What a wonderful book.

Although one should never try to tackle the Spider Web Lace Pattern at 2 am in the morning:badidea, especially after spending the evening waiting for my bf to finish a 4 hr dialysis treatment:yawn . I had to frog the first 4 rows at least 5x's before it finally made sense.:cheer0

Archived