New Here and Working on my First Filet Crochet in Thread...

KnicKnac

...or at least that is what I think it's called! :lol

I have embarked on a project for my sister. I have been dying to make something with thread for awhile now (ever since my first project with thread turned out cute - baby booties) and I found a wonderful pattern. Here is the pattern:

http://www.hassdesign.com/FiletCrochetDesigns/IP/Crochet-Shawl-Patterns/BlossomStole/

Here's the thing tho. This is my first project EVER to do in pieces. Or motifs. Or whatever they call it! So it's been an experience so far.

Here is a question for the experts: When working a pattern like this do you spend time hiding the threads as you go or do you wait until you are finished with the project to hide them. And is hiding the thread about the same procedure as when you hide yarn?

I wanted to post here to keep track of my progress. I hope you all don't mind!

KnicKnac

That's very pretty,

As far as working in ends, I personally find it much less daunting if I work my ends in as I go. I normally wait till I have 4-5 to work in and then take a few minutes and take care of them. Makes it far less of a job, But not as irritating as stopping and doing each and every one as it gets done. That's just the way I like to do it. Everyone seems to have their own prefrences. There truly is no right way.

Thank you Kathy for the suggestion. I think I would work it that way as well. When working yarn ends in I find it pretty easy, but with thread it seems a bit more difficult because I cannot get in between the strands. Do you use a needle or just the crochet hook? Do you usually leave a long strand or do you have a short end to work in?

KK

I like to leave a long enough tail (about 3 inches seems to be suffiecient,) that I can thread it onto a needle. I have one within easy reach that is easy to thread the thread onto using a needle threader. Then I just weave/sew that end into the piece. There is normally someplace to hide them little hummers.

Thanks again Kathy. I will try it and see what happens. I think this is the only reason I have waited so long to even try something like this, the dreaded ENDS! Wish me luck!

KK

Archived