Romantic Cardigan, I am messed up!

Luvmyrott'nboy

Question

OK, I just want to say I have never frogged like I have frogged this project! I started it Tuesday night and by Friday I frogged it and threw the yarn in a box in my closet...crochet sulk.

I know a few of you have made this and I am wonedering what I am doing wrong.

I do fine through the 4th row, but after that I cannot for the life of me come out with the right number of puffs...I am either a stitch short at the center or at the very end of the row. I made absolute sure I was DCing in each stitch (puff-chain) but obviously I was doing something wrong!

Did anyone else have problems?

7 answers to this question

Me too !! :help

But I can't get past row 3 (or what ever the first "puff" row is) where your supposed to come out with 64 puffs..I get between 61 and 63 depending on how I try to read it.

Where I get thrown is the counts..putting 1 in the turning chain-got that- but then it say's to put one in the first 2 DC's to create a puff and do that 29 more times. So is it a total of 30..or 29 to the middle? 30 get's me closer to the correct # of puffs..maybe.

Then after the middle shell stitch I get lost at the end. Do I put one in the last DC (in addition to the last half of the decrease I already put in that stich for the one prior to that) *and* the top of the turning chain and then also in the turning chain? That's how I finally played around and read it and the puff #'s come out ok but only if I count the first turning chain of the row as a puff..even though it really isn't one.

It would help me no end if I had row counts to go by for the DC chain rows 'cuz like you I think that's where I'm getting off on my counts.

I too try to make sure I hit each puff-chain stitch even making sure to go in the ones of the middle shell/puff thingy. Thought maybe that's where I'd messed up the first 3 times I tried to get past row 4.

For those that have mananged to finish it...can you give us any counts to go by for say the first 2 DC rows??

I think once I could get beyond row 4 I'd get the gist of it and be able to figure out how much I need to increase each row to get my counts to come out right if I had the correct # of DC's to go by for the "foundation" rows. The pattern doesn't tell you how my DC's to have for these rows so I'm totally guessing and I think that's where the problem starts..:rant

What is the pattern you are talking about? Is it the Lion Brand Romantic Bolero pattern? If so, others had the same problem right around the same location (rows 3 and 4), you might want to do a search on it, solutions were posted...

If it's not that pattern, please provide a link so we know what you're talking about, otherwise we can't help...

What is the pattern you are talking about? Is it the Lion Brand Romantic Bolero pattern? If so, others had the same problem right around the same location (rows 3 and 4), you might want to do a search on it, solutions were posted...

If it's not that pattern, please provide a link so we know what you're talking about, otherwise we can't help...

No, it isn't the bolero, it is out of the Lion Vintage Pattern Book. The cardigan on the front cover. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400080614/sr=8-1/qid=1143575415/ref=sr_1_1/102-9293318-2877749?%5Fencoding=UTF8

A few folks here have made it.

Hi,

I'm also having major problems with the lovely Lion Brand "Romantic Cardigan" that you all posted about here. I can't figure this out and think there may be something amiss in the pattern instructions. Did anyone ever find a solution? I'm ready to rip the thing out and look for a new project! Seems I've followed the pattern as closely as humanly possible and the whole thing is turning into a ruffled mess. The turns are going wonky and my increases seem to be out of control, even though I've done it all as directed....as far as I can tell. :no Confusing!

If anyone has some advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Sara

:think Is it made sleeve to sleeve?

It is always better to have a bit more info when help is needed to work out a pattern.

If you can post more or even PM me the relevant parts of the pattern, I may be able to help.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Thanks for your responses. The "cardigan" is made as a big, wide "V" shape, then folded over and seamed on the sides to make the sleeves. The point of the V forms the back. When I have time later on, I'll try to post some of the pattern for your perusal.

Archived