Boy Designs: HELP!

Crochet Garden

Question

So.. i want to design some boy things... and first thing that came to mind is overalls: But then I had a few concerns:

1) Snaps, buttons or no snaps for Overalls?

Snaps:

Pros: No need to take off entire overalls

Cons: Pain to snap each and every snap. Concerns to stability of snaps on yarn

Buttons:

Pros: No need to take off entire overalls

Cons: Pain to do AND undo

No closures (overall bottoms 1 piece)

Pros: No snaps buttons to worry about? Some moms prefer anyway to take off entire overalls

Cons: Some moms prefer to not take off the entire overalls. Not practical for potty-training-age

So what are your thoughts on this? Please add to the pros and cons and your concerns and your experience on overalls! How should I begin to design these?

Also.. do all sizes need a crotch piece? (the diamond part between the legs)

2) What kinds of boy things do crocheters seek out patterns for? Elastic pants? Overalls? Cardigans? Caps? Afghans? If you have been recently looking for a boy pattern- what kind of pattern were you looking for? (include babies, toddlers AND school-age boys)

What do you think would be good for selling?

Please add anything else that you can think of that will help me design some really nice boy patterns! (Also.. I found out recently my brother and his wife are having a BOY in july.. which means I am going to be an Auntie!!!! Which means i need to make baby boys things!!)

2 answers to this question

I just finished making (sewing) rompers for my gd. For the crotch there was an extension from the back, almost like a strap that was brought up front and fastened to the shorter extension on the front. I would think that would be desirable for any age baby. Boy or girl.

Snap tape is available to sew on instead of putting the snaps in the yarn. They're on a piece of woven twill-type tape and are easy to use.

I wouldn't use overalls on a potty-training age chlld. Too hard for them to remove quickly.

I think some cute pants patterns would sell good. Like jeans or cargo pants with pockets.

Well my son is 2 1/2 yrs old and he hates snaps or botton crotches. He wants me to take the whole thing off of him. Actually I don't mind doing it, since he is still in diapers I prefer to have the pant/overalls away from things that fill the diapers.

So to answer your first question - one piece is what we prefer.

Your second question - tight weave overalls (little toes can get hurt in big stitches or gaps), afghans, sweaters (pull over) and cardigans are ok (not our favorite however).

This summer he will learn to use the potty chair :cheer (it will be warmer weather). When he does then I will no longer want any kind of overalls for him and most of the summer her will not wear pants of any kind; just his diaper. When he gets completely trained (or fall comes) then I will put pants (loose fitting with elastic waist) on him.

Hope I've helped.

Archived