Help with flowers?

simonssez

Question

I'm trying to use this pattern that was posted in the patterns forum...

Lion Brand Flower Pattern

But for the life of me I can't get it to "roll" like a flower. This pattern is uber simple, I am clueless as to how I could be screwing it up. For the number of chains they have you start with, it seems impossible (unless I"m just way off the mark) for it to form so many layers/petals as their photos show. Does anyone have any advice on making flowers? I'd be extra grateful. Our submarine just went out to sea and a good friend of mine is really going through a rough spot with her hubby being gone. I'd wanted to crochet a "bouquet" of flowers out of scrap yarns to take to her as a cheer up measure. Thanks so much!

7 answers to this question

Can you possibly take a pic and show us how yours turns out?

When I made my first roll-up flower I was like "how in the world is this going to become a flower?" After messing with it I finally realized how it worked and I finally got it. It took a little playing with at first for me.

Maybe if you tell us how it looks or something we can try to help but to see a pic would really help...

Did you actually try to "roll it up" and see what it looks like? Sometimes in order for you to see how it will look you have to give it a try first...

Let me do that and take a pic real quick as I have the one I've been "piddling with" right here, just not rolled. (although I have 'tried' to roll it). I think I must just be outwitting myself lately and getting frustrated b/c I can't make my mini submarine work either and how hard can it be to crochet a 3 or 4" black sub motif?! LOL

Will repost in a few moments once I get the pic up.

Thanks for posting the pic. Hmmm, I wonder why it's doing that. I haven't made one of those particular flowers in awhile but will quick work one up and see if I can figure out what the problem is. It'll take me a few as I just got to work and have a few things to do but I should be able to give you more help by this afternoon! Hopefully we can figure this mystery out together! :hook

Ok, I'm not sure but it looks like you're rolling it up and sewing it together wrong.

This is how I do it (and it turned out fine)

Starting with the long tail edge, roll it up like you would a carpet (does this make sense?) Personally I don't sew anything together til I am done rolling the entire thing up. Once it's completely rolled up I poof some petals out farther until it looks good then I sew the base of the rose together in several places so that it holds it's shape.

I hope I explained this correctly.

But the pattern is correct (a miracle on the LB site!) so it looks like it's just a matter of rolling it up.

Let me know if you need anymore help! :D

Thanks! I think I was rolling the wrong way and I think I know how I 'should' be doing it...but it still isn't working. I think I'll just give up and send her real flowers! LOL I can't keep piddling w/ it because I have to get this submarine figured out since these afghans have to be done in a week and a half.

I had exactly the same problem with this pattern. The petals never separated nicely, and it just looked like a rolled up piece of crochet. Maybe I'll try it again sometime and see if it works according to the method above.

Archived