Dumb question about feeds

natalie058

You do have one already, Natalie, because I'm subscribed to you. :D! Yours is natalie85.blogspot.com/atom.xml - Blogger supplies it automatically as part of their service. Isn't that great, you didn't have to do a thing. :D!

Now go check out bloglines.com and sign up. It's free, and you can subscribe to most of our blogs with it and get notified of updates. :))

No, you have to go to the blog to comment. You won't be able to see pics on all the blogs, depending on what kind of photo hosting they use. Also, some people have their feed set to only give a short blurb, then you have to go to the blog to read the rest of the post.

Rebecca, the little tomato is a favicon. I drew it in Photoshop and converted it to .ico format at this site: FavIcon From Pics.

Links to read up on what favicons are and how they work:

What is Favicon.ico? Personalize Your Site's Bookmark

PhotoMatt: How to Create a Favicon

But there's one problem... the favicons displayed on Bloglines are local versions, meaning Bloglines saves them to their own servers. Why they do that, I have no clue. (Maybe to make sure Bloglines isn't slowed down by waiting for images from other servers?) And I'm not sure how often they update the favicons. I had a favicon at my site for about three months and it still wasn't showing up in Bloglines. I e-mailed them (though not through my account at Bloglines) and never heard back (maybe I would have gotten a response if I'd used the Contact Us link in my account :P ) but about a month or two after that, Julie told me she was seeing my tomato in Bloglines! :yay2

So, my advice is to create your favicon, upload it, add the proper code to your blog, and patiently wait to see if it appears in Bloglines until you can't stand it anymore. Then contact Bloglines through the Contact Us link when you're logged in to your account.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm sorry to be totally dense in this, but i just don't get it :shrug:cry

what do you mean by

my advice is to create your favicon, upload it, add the proper code to your blog, and patiently wait

i went to the site link you posted and turned my pic into a favicon .ico ---- something then saved it in my computer.

now what - really dumb it down for me :blush

Okay, so you've got your favicon.ico now, good. Make sure it is named favicon.ico. Don't change the name to anything else.

Now, upload it to your website with whatever program you use to upload stuff to your site. FTP probably? The file should reside at this location:

http://www.ewedevil.com/favicon.ico

Exactly like that, no changes!

Now you need to put the correct code in the main page of your site. You use Blogger, so you will need to go into your Blogger template to do this.

Find the head section (it's between the <head> </head> tags) and add the following code.

favicon.gif

Save your template and republish your blog.

Now you should have a favicon. To see it, add your site to your bookmarks. Then close all your browser windows. Then reopen your browser and go to your site. You should see your favicon in the address bar of your browser.

Seeing it on Bloglines is a different story, though, because that may take a long time. They save everybody's favicon.ico to their own servers. I'm not sure why they do that. I don't know how often they update them.

Archived