A Slew of Questions...

malimore

Question

Ok, look under the stitches help for my quesiton on the shell stitch.

I also think the basketweave is very cool, but every pattern I see says something about a "post". What the heck is the post?! Is there a simple pattern for a basketweave so that I can get ideas from it (once someone explains what a "post" is)?

Another thing:

If the pattern tells you not to turn: 1) how the heck do you crochet backwards? 2) what's the difference of turning or not turning?

That's it for now...I'm sure I will come up with more later!

Mali

6 answers to this question

:think Question 1...

The post is the whole stitch and generally when they tell you to use the post, you will put the hook between two stitches and bring it out between the next two stitches and complete the stitch. (Can be from front to back for front post or back to front for back post.) This is instead of working into the top of the stitch as you usually do. Gives a ridge which forms the Basket weave stitch.

:think Question 2...

A simple pattern for Basket weave could be 4 Front post DCs, 4 Back post DCs. On the next row, reverse what you did on the first so you have 2 rows which look the same. Now reverse so you do 4 Back post DCs then 4 Front post DCs. ( the first group on each row, will start with Ch3 to stand as the first DC)

Fiddle around a bit on about 20 DCs, until you get the hang of it.

:think Question 3...

If it says "Do not turn" you are probably doing rounds and will join the end of the round then do 1, 2 or 3CH and continue in the same direction.

Hope this helps.

Colleen:hug

PS, You can do SCs backwards for one row, as an edging, but I would advise you to leave this until you get used to going forward.:hug

Might I suggest you go to one of the crochet sites, such as http://crochet.about.com/, where they have photos or illustrations, along with "how to" instructions.

At the moment, crochet terms probably seem like a foreign language to you - as they are. And crochet is like pretty much anything else - it's just a matter of learning the lingo and practicing the techniques.

I've been crocheting for years and Aggie May has just pointed out that you can crochet backwards - I never knew that before! Something new for me to practice.

Wombat,

:hook Just Google Crab Stitch and you should find instructions on how to crochet backwards.

If you dont find it, let me know and I will tell you.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

LOL I found that info on About.com after I posted my questions. I had to come back and post in Board Questions as to whether or not it was traitorous of me to mention another board/forum/etc. on Crochetville. :) Thanx for the imput guys.

I'm pretty good at my crocheting forward now...I think the reverse will just take some time with coordination. It feels ackward, like I'm learning all over again....wait, I am!!! LOL

Mali

The Annie's Attic (formerly stitchguide) videos are wonderful. I use them often. If you also want pictures and a text explanation in detail, I have some of the stitches explained at Crochet Cabana. That does include crocheting backwards which is the Reverse Single Crochet, also called crab stitch. :-)

Archived