Question about basic stitch

tinkerpuppet

Question

I want to make my husband an afghan, but he doesn't want anything to fancy or frilly. So I'm thinking just a simple DC stitch throughout. But here's my question. I don't know how long my foundation chain should be (ie 3 + 1), when starting Row 1 which chain to make my first stitch in, or at the end of a row how many to chain before turning.

Really basic stuff, but I haven't found a basic DC afghan pattern, and I don't know myself.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

5 answers to this question

:hook You can do any number you want if you are doing all DCs.

Just make a long chain, on a bigger hook if you are a firm crocheter, then work your first DC into the 3rd CH from the hook.

Work 1DC onto each of the rest of the CH. CH3 then turn.

The CH3 stands as the first DC of the next row so do not work into the stitch directly below the CH3. Work DCs into each DC to the end of the row, making sure to do the last stitch into the top of the CH3 from the start of the previous row. CH3, turn

Just keep repeating that row to the size you want.

Make sure your start is not tight or your afghan will not end up square or rectangular, but will look like a fan.

Here is another simple idea which makes a slightly lighter afghan.

:hook Make a long chain, (loosely)

Row 1, 1DC into the 6th CH from the hook, *CH1, sk 1CH, 1DC into the next CH* Repeat * to * to the end of the CH. CH4, turn.

Now count how many CH1 spaces you have and write it down.

Row 2, SK 1CH, 1DC into top of next DC, CH1,* Repeat * to * to the end of the row where you will do SK 1CH, 1DC into next CH. CH4, turn.

Repeat row two for as many rows as you want.

If this does not make sense, feel free to PM me for more direct info.

Have fun.

Colleen

I found this pattern through the Lion Brand website that Salos linked.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwe-2colorAfghan.html

cwe-2colorafghana.jpg

My husband wants the blanket for his meditation, so he chose red and yellow colours (like Tibetan monk robes). Its a great easy pattern, and I love the stripes. I think it will turn out great!

Archived