footie/slippers no slideums?

sfgwife

Question

I wanted to make some slippers for a few elderly people but I need something for the bottom so they won't slip and slide on the floor. Any ideas? Thanks, Nikki

7 answers to this question

I am thinking that if you cut to shape those rubber grips you can get in dollar stores, or those shelf liners (rubber), those should do the trick. Someone else with more "slipper-experience" might be more help:)

As luvs2reiki said, puffy paint works well. A glue gun should work, too, or you can weave rubber bands through the bottoms. The paint or glue are easiest, though.

When I made my very first pair of crocheted slippers I new I needed something to make them non-slip. I realized this as I was sliding down five wooden steps. Ouch! I originally tried the woven rubber bands, but they deteriorated rather quickly. Now I use puffy paint because it's fun to make the designs and it really does help prevent slipping. Just make sure you put something behind the part you're painting so you don't end up fusing the bottom of your slipper to the top.:lol I've also used craft glue. One thing for sure is that you want to start with a cushy bottom to your slipper because otherwise you can feel every bump of the paint or glue when you walk. I used to have a page bookmarked with several other ideas, but I can't find it now. One of the suggestions was something you could spray on. I feel like it might have been something designed to keep rugs from slipping?? I'll keep looking, but I do recommend puffy paint.

You can get some of the greatest help/ideas for your projects. I hadn't even gotten to the point where I was concerned about my slippery slippers....(I made my first pair last week. But ALL of these ideas are great....okay. wait, I did think about cutting something out, but I didn't know how to attach to the bottom without sewing (gluing may not last for me). The puffy paint is such a great idea find!!!:cheer

Archived