Dishcloth ?

hapahaolegirl

Question

Hi,

Can someone tell me if dishcloths are meant to be used to wash dishes or dry dishes? I have a booklet by Red Heart called, Dandy Dishcloths and all of the dishcloths are about 9"x9" give or take an inch or so.

I'd like to make dishcloths to wash dishes but as I'm working on one I'm not sure what it's true purpose is supposed to be.

Thanks!

Kristen

7 answers to this question

So, I finished my dishcloth which is 9.5" x 9.5". It seems so big! Do I really wash dishes with it? I could easily see myself washing dishes with something a quarter of the size, but maybe I'm just used to using a sponge? I was also planning on using a dishcloth for only one day before tossing it in the laundry to be washed. Is this how most people do this?

Sorry for all the silly questions. I'm just not sure what's normal.

Thanks!

Kristen

You can wash these when you feel you need to do so. I am lazy so I wash mine maybe once a week but somepeople I know use a different one each day and only use once before washing again.

As far as how big, some patterns are bigger than others but it may just be your gauge was off? I know some dishcloth patterns are to be made with the 4 ply cotton but others use the size 10 thread which makes a difference size wise. Honestly if you like the size that's all that matters. If it's too large either try and smaller hook or modifying the pattern by reducing the amount of stitches...

Good luck!

I think dish clothes can vary in size, even commercial handiwipes are fairly large sized...but I know people who use them like a dish cloth...I just made a dish cloth from one of Annie's Attic free patterns the other day and it was approximately 7 or so inches and it looked right to me and I even stopped about 5 or 6 rows shy of what the pattern called for...

Everyone has their own way of doing things and personally I don't really think there's a "wrong" way about when you throw these in the washer...I'm more like Donna...once a week...whatever you are comfortable with.

Archived