Prefelting measurement?

queen_mo

I've made some felted bags (diaper bag, tote, and book bag) but I'm trying to design felted patterns for hats. I need to know what kind of measurements I need on the prefelted hat to get a good fit. I know that shaping while drying helps in the fit, but approximately how much will it shrink? If I want an adult hat to fit 20-22", how big should the hat measure before washing?

Any help would be great. I've googled everything (patterns, instructions, etc) and can't find anything with prefelted measurements.

Thanks

ummm it depends on your yarn.. the heat of you water .. the shrinkage rate..

and i know you probably dont wanna hear it but felting a swatch FIRST is your best bet..

because no two yarns shrink at the same rate .. even the same yarn doesnt shrink at the same rate EVERY time..

I agree with Elizabeth, I just crocheted 2 hats to felt. They were both made with the same brand of yarn and different combinations of the same colors. I put them in different pillow protectors and in the same wash. One felted way faster than the other. Why? I'm not sure, maybe one had more agitaion? I also find that my hats shrink lenghthwise more than widthwise.

I think that to get the measurement you want post-felting, the pre-felting measurement isn't too important, as long as it's large. You just have to keep checking to get the correct fit. Unfortunatly felting isn't an exact science. I'm not sure if this helped at all......

I agree with Elizabeth, I just crocheted 2 hats to felt. They were both made with the same brand of yarn and different combinations of the same colors. I put them in different pillow protectors and in the same wash. One felted way faster than the other. Why? I'm not sure, maybe one had more agitaion? I also find that my hats shrink lenghthwise more than widthwise.

I think that to get the measurement you want post-felting, the pre-felting measurement isn't too important, as long as it's large. You just have to keep checking to get the correct fit. Unfortunatly felting isn't an exact science. I'm not sure if this helped at all......

Have you posted pics of them?

Archived