Recomendation requested please. :)

werecat

I am really interested and curious about the process of creating yarn from shearing the beastie to the finished product. I have tried various searches and had no luck on line. I was wondering if anyone could recomend a book or website that would lay it all out for me of what all is involved. I'm thinking that eventually it would be sort of fun to have an alpaca or two or maybe a couple of sheep just to make my own yarn from. Or maybe growing some flax? that's what they make linen yarns out of isnt it? Anyway, just really curious to find out what all is involved before I start saving up for the equipment. :)

Lisa

Check out the tutorial Kimberly's son Joshua made. It follows some wool from Mary Jane (the sheep) to Linda Jane (the hat).

Perhaps someone can recommend more technical information, this is fun.

Check out the tutorial Kimberly's son Joshua made. It follows some wool from Mary Jane (the sheep) to Linda Jane (the hat).

Perhaps someone can recommend more technical information, this is fun.

that sounds good, were do I find that?

I would suggest that you find yourself a copy of Spin Off magazine and look through it to find someone as near to you as possible who produces wool or Alpaca. Then phone them and go to see them write a list of questions to take and look over their production methods thoroughly. Reading a book and actually seeing touching and feeling the real thing is totally different. You will also see the amount of work involved both good and bad. If possible go to a farmstay and have them teach you what you will need to do in the way of care, health ,feeding and if they shear their own or pay someone to do it for them and the costs involved. Its not all fun and its quite hard work so its best to prepare yourself as thoroughly as you can. Goodluck.

Archived