Cuddly Confections & an ode to Pocket Pals

I was browsing through my patterns last night and I came upon my old yellow portfolio where I used to keep my patterns before I developed PHS (Pattern Hoarding Syndrome). :blush These are from when I was in college, around 1988. I was mostly interested in making dolls then, and I somehow (in that pre-internet Stone Age) got hooked up with Cuddly Confections from Security, Co.

They specialized in stuffed toys, and sold me the most influential pattern I've ever had--the Pocket Pals, eight 6 inch dolls in different costumes (fairy, ballerina, bride and groom, Sunshine girl, woodsman, policeman, and nurse)

The Pocket Pals are what taught me to crochet--they're made from worsted-weight yarn and a size E hook, so I learned that changing the size of the hook has an effect on my work. I learned how to crochet in a spiral, how to increase and decrease, how to change colors, how to shape my work, and how to use stitch markers. They taught me how to change a pattern to suit myself--do I need a mermaid? leave off the legs and improvise a tail. Need a witch? Make the Sunshine Maid's dress longer, make a pointy hat and voila! :manyheart I don't have a single one of the dolls left; they also taught me that there are plenty of people who love crocheted things! :hook

Whew! I get gabbier as I get older. :2blush Has anyone else heard of Cuddly Confections? I checked the 'net and it seems to have gone the way of the dodo. I figure if anyone has heard of them it's this gang here. :fame

• 6 years later...

Archived