Practical Crochet for Babies

Oh I don't think you are insane. My grandma with 8 kids in 20 years yeah insane. Actually I think as you get older you are more stable for the most part to have kids. And if you have already been through it once you know what to expect. I can't wait til my little one gets here. I know what mistakes I made with Storm and want to correct. Althogh prob with other mistakes as they are all different lol I wouldn't mind having kids til I was 40ish. I like my kids just fine. It's their friends I am not always amused by.

Lisa

Not a bad idea just keep in mind most diaper bags come with changing pads now. I'd hate to see hard work go to waste. That's not to say they wouldn't use yours and toss the other one.

While it's true diaper bags tend to come with changing pads, I've always tossed them immediately because they're always of some icky plasticky material I didn't want my baby's bum on. (And this was as true of the expensive diaper bag as of the one from the formula company they gave me in the hospital.) The more I think about it, the better the idea sounds. I'm thinking right now of something crocheted of two strands of WW yarn held together, that could be rolled up & tied instead of folded (another reason the pads always wound up as a casualty for me is they'd start unfolding in the bag and get wrapped around the other stuff in there).

Each of my children had their own special afghan that they still use to this day. I only wish I had seen those patterns for personalized baby blankets back then...that would have been extra special.

I found the pattern for the stroller / car seat blanket with the little slits to slide the seat belt through! It's in Stitch & Bitch Happy Hooker! right near the end... :cheer

You all got me thinking though about having a baby #5... :fluffy I mean 'baby' #1 will be 24 in May... but I had two kids in my first marriage, two in my second marriage, and now in my third marriage... is that like a two drink minimum, only a two kid minimum? :2spin I'd better get working on it then, huh???? turned 41 in November.... yeah, I could do this...

There's just too many adorable baby items I want to make and with son preferring an alternative lifestyle, daughter 18 being at university, and the boy 13 and the girl 12, looks like I may have to make my own baby if I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet any time soon!

You must love children as much as me. I think when my kids grow up my house will be too quiet. I want to bring in some foster kids if that happens. There are so many kids who need a good home. I only wish I had room now. I have 4 of my own kids in a 3 bedroom house.:eek

I've always tossed them immediately because they're always of some icky plasticky material I didn't want my baby's bum on.

True. However it's plastic so you can wipe it right off if there's an accident while changing, or leakage. :lol

My grandma with 8 kids in 20 years yeah insane.

Yes but I only have the two. Both were planned. It works for me though. :manyheart

The blankets I've crocheted for various people have all been used by them very often.

The first one I made was rather "small" for a baby blanket, but it ended up fitting just fine in the car seat as it was (to put over the baby and keep it warm). No folding or anything. My sister-in-law said that many other parents at their church asked where she found such a blanket - no extra time to fold the blanket - it just fit. They were sad when she explained her sister-in-law made it. I've always made my blankets small since then since you can buy BIG blankets, but not small ones. :)

I also made it out of the Red Heart Worsted weight baby print, in a very simple, solid pattern (one row of single crochet, one row of double), and so it wasn't "fancy" so they didn't feel obligated to save it in a drawer or something.

I made a similar one for my former advisor's first child and they used it for covering the bean bag chair that she would lay in in his office.

My fiance and I also made a blanket for a friend's baby out of Homespun yarn (in a dye lot I've NEVER seen again - it made lovely rainbow stripes!) and she still uses it in his downstairs crib for taking naps. She loves it because it's so soft. (and again, made just in single crochet, I think)

I forgot to say that I do think you can never have too many blankets. I certainly used many of them for my two winter-born babies, but even my Hawaii girl gets some use out of 'em (some of the air conditioning hereabouts is cold!).

Archived