Increasing and Decreasing

irish_leeny

Question

7 answers to this question

Most increases are made simply by placing 2 stitches in a single stitch from the previous row. So if you were doing an increase at each end with double crochet, the pattern would read "Ch 3, turn, dc same stitch as turning chain, dc in each dc across, 2 dc in top of previous turning ch."

Decreases are a little more tricky, because sc decrease differs slightly from hdc or dc decreases. To make a sc decrease, go into first stitch, draw up a loop, go into the next (2nd) stitch and draw up a loop, yo (yarn over) and pull through all 3 loops on the hook.

For Hdc there are 2 ways I have seen, the first, yo, insert hook into the first st, draw up loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook, yo, insert hook into 2nd stitch, draw up loop, yo and pull through all 4? loops on hook. *Second way: yo, insert hook into first stitch, draw up loop, insert hook into second stitch, draw up loop, yo, pull through all 4 loops on hook.

For dc: yo, insert hook into the first stitch, draw up loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook, yo, insert hook into 2nd stitch, draw up loop, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook, yo, pull through all 3 loops on hook.

I have seen pattern directions for both hdc decrease methods, but in all my "instruction" books, the second is the prefered way and does create a more uniform looking hdc stitch, when compared to the other individual hdc stitches.

Hope this helps.

Annie's Attic Stitchguide videos are great.

I also have instructions at my web site with pictures as to how I do it.

At http://www.crochetcabana.com go to Basic Stitches. Under there is increase and decrease in the basic stitches. Don't forget to click on "go" or you won't go anywhere. :-)

Hope it helps.

You're the Crochet Cabana lady! I love love love your site!!! I should have gone there in the first place...I was so out of it yesterday! I feel like I just posted a message to the crochet version of a movie star!

You're the Crochet Cabana lady! I love love love your site!!! I should have gone there in the first place...I was so out of it yesterday! I feel like I just posted a message to the crochet version of a movie star!

Oh my *blushing furiously* You are toooo sweet.:c9 I'm certainly no movie star, or star of any kind actually. hee hee But I'm really pleased you enjoy the site. :yayHope it helps with your problem.

You've certainly made my day! :hug

What can I say, I am a crochet slappy! Glad to make your day, I already popped over to Crochet Cabana.

I have to tell you that thanks to your site, I can now make a granny square, something I was previously unable to do, even though I have been crocheting since I was 8...your directions cracked me up.

Archived