Is there anything wrong with my method?

LeslieJo

Question

Can anyone help me with this question? Is it necessary to yo before pulling the yarn through the loops (after pulling up a loop), or is it ok just to hook the yarn from behind and pull through? When I do a sc, for instance, I stick the hook through the next stitch, pull up my loop, then just reach behind the yarn with my hook and grab it and pull through; I don't wrap the yarn around the hook to finish the stitches. Is this ok? :think

My stitches seem to look the same regardless, so I'm wondering if it's ok to do this. It sure is quicker, and saves my wrists (I'm disabled and it helps not to be doing the extra moves). I'm wondering if there's any negative effect on the yarn, etc, that anyone knows of.

Thanks for any help you have to give!

7 answers to this question

Not quite, you are doing a Slip Stitch which is usually done to join the ends of rows in the round, or to get the yarn to a place where the pattern starts.

With a SC, you put the hook into the work and then the hook goes under the yarn and you pull it through to the front, then put your hook under the yarn again and pull through both loops on the hook.

The way it seems like you ar doing it, will be a bit slower as it is a shorter stitch.

Hope this has been helpful.

Good on you for giving it a go anyway and dont give up.

Maybe you are inventing your very own stitch.

Colleen.

PS there are web-sites with video instructions which will be helpful.:hug

When I do a sc, for instance, I stick the hook through the next stitch, pull up my loop, then just reach behind the yarn with my hook and grab it and pull through; I don't wrap the yarn around the hook to finish the stitches.

Sounds like a correct sc to me. I think what you're asking is if you should be lifting the yarn above the hook rather than reaching under the yarn with the hook, right? The results are the same either way, it's just a matter of which hand you want to move ~ the yarn hand or the hook hand. Both ways the yarn ends up on top of the hook, so you're ok.

I do it the way you do. I just never thought about it. My yarn hand stays fairly still, I just tilt it to get the yarn in position for the hook, and my right hand does all the hooking.

Ditto on me. I do it exactly the same way, but I never really thought about it either. That might explain why people say it looks like I'm going really quickly; without the "extra movement", it makes it easier. I also find that it saves wrist fatigue because the movement that you do is much smaller.

If it looks the way that you like, I would say that you are doing it right. Espically if it 'cuses your wrists not to hurt. But, then again, I never really take into consideration what others would say about my work 'cuase I work tight and I am always being told that my work is to tight to be right and I use to small of a hook for a given yarn. But, I like it and I havn't gotten any compliants from the people that I've made things from so.... I never much thought about how I handle the yarn. I am not sure which way I do it. I think I need to go do a sc to figure out which way I am doing it....

Thank you all for your help! I've been crocheting for a while, but realized early on that bringing the yarn around the hook instead of just hooking the yarn from behind seemed like a wasted movement, and the yarn winds up in the same place anyway! I always wondered, though, if the twist of the yarn or some other thing I hadn't thought of would be negatively affected. My work seems to be a bit firmer than other people's, and not soft and lush; more utilitarian, I guess; maybe it's because I hook the yarn from behind. I like to make baby clothes, and the softer the better. Yes, it is much faster. I am delighted to know that other people crochet this way!! Thank you for relieving this small burden!!

:yay

I don't think that it really matters, but I do think that there would be a slight variation in the look of the stitch, especially on the longer stitches (like hdc or dc). I did a test and did see a difference (if I was doing the stitches without the yarn over correctly). All I did was reach through the stitch, grab the yarn and pull it through.

The difference I saw, was that the ones, without the yarn over had a more diagonal look to the stitch, whereas the ones with the yarn over were more upright. I don't think that there would be a significant difference in the finished piece however, just a slightly different look to the stitches. So in other words, whatever makes you comfortable, I just thought I would share that I did see a difference in the stitch look.

Here is a picture I took comparing the different methods. I did 2 rows each way of Hdc and sc and if you look closely you will see that the ones without the yarn over are a little more diagonal at the bottom of the stitch. [image is clickable]

th_0221001.jpg

Wow, Smartcat, thanks for your response. I'll do a test swatch myself this afternoon and see. You're terrific for going to all that trouble!! My items come out nicely, if I do say so myself, but I had always wondered about that. I think you have it right; when I go through the stitch to pull up a loop, I hook the yarn from behind; then, after pulling up the loop (2 or 3 loops on hook, depending on stitch being made) I just again go behind the yarn and hook it and pull through for my stitches, instead of wrapping the yarn around the hook first. Maybe I'll try with a larger hook so I can see better.

Now that I think about it, I have noticed a "diagonal" effect; I just thought that was inherent to crochet because of where the new rows of stitches hook into the old rows; never always directly over them, but a little off-center, if you know what I'm saying. Most noticeable when working sc in rounds; the piece seems to "twist." I'm going to start making sweaters soon so maybe this new-found knowledge will help!

THANK YOU!!

Archived