Crochet thread?

kareni

Question

One of the patterns I was going to use asks for #10 crochet thread... can anyone tell me a little bit about it? :think

I bought #3 crochet thread because they didn't have the color I wanted in #10... would it make a huge difference if I used a different size thread? Also, how am I supposed to know what size hook to use?

10 answers to this question

Since #3 thread is thicker than #10, your project will be larger. How much larger will deopend a bit on your hook size. The wrapper on the thread suggests an "E" hook, though I use a smaller one (00).

:)Alosha

Size 10 thread is what is known as bedspread weight thread. It is 100% cotton. I know size 5 is double the thickness of size 10 and of course size 3 should be thicker than size 5. I agree with both of the ladies in doing a test gauge first. May I know what pattern is that you're planning to make? I always use size 10 as it's readily available here in Manila. :-))))))

May I know what pattern is that you're planning to make? I always use size 10 as it's readily available here in Manila. :-))))))

Here's a link to the pattern I bought... I bought black #10 thread and pink #3 thread.

I was hoping I could make two tops, one black and one pink... but maybe it might be better if I just found pink thread in size 10. :shrug

Here's a link to the pattern I bought... I bought black #10 thread and pink #3 thread.

I was hoping I could make two tops, one black and one pink... but maybe it might be better if I just found pink thread in size 10. :shrug

Hmmm, I don't see a link anywhere...

Size 10 cotton is widely available and IMO easier to find than #3. Even Wal-Mart carries quite a bit of it in several colors. I'm sure you'll find it, but you may have to try a couple different places to find the right color.

Ok, if you used #3 thread it would make that top a lot bigger than it says. With clothing you really need to use what is called for and make sure to check gauge (ugh!) before starting... I crochet very loosely so I normally have to go down a size in the hook that is called for.

You can make clothing with all types of things and change around, but with something like that, IMO you're much better off sticking with #10 weight... GOOD LUCK!

Ok, if you used #3 thread it would make that top a lot bigger than it says. With clothing you really need to use what is called for and make sure to check gauge (ugh!) before starting... I crochet very loosely so I normally have to go down a size in the hook that is called for.

You can make clothing with all types of things and change around, but with something like that, IMO you're much better off sticking with #10 weight... GOOD LUCK!

:D Thanks! but... how do you check the guage for something like that? Do i just crochet a few stitches and measure the inches...and compare? :think

In the pattern there should be instructions for measuring gauge. Most of the time you just make a swatch and measure. It should say how big it should be. For example: 5DC's and 3 rows = 2 inches (or something like that) Then if your measurement is bigger or smaller you know you need to adjust the hook size!

That top is so pretty. Reminds me of Irish Crochet. There are lots of different brands in Size 10 thread, so lots of colour choices as well. Perhaps you could buy from a mail order supplier.

I do hope that you work it all out and make the top.

Archived