Yarn Substiution?

zeropixie

Question

3 answers to this question

Melissa,

Knit-Cro-Sheen is a size 10 mercerized cotton thread. According to Coats & Clark's web site, they still make it. I think it's just knowing where to buy it. I'm not sure that Wal-Mart carries it, but Michaels or Joann's should stock it. If not, I'd recommend a high-quality size 10 cotton thread like DMC Traditions or Baroque as a substitute. HTH

Coats & Clark did discontinue KnitCroSheen in the last year. It has been replaced with Aunt Lydia's classic crochet and J&P Coats Royale. They are both the same thing. The only difference from the KCS is the way the thread is processed. Coats has discovered a more cost efficient way to process the thread from when they first started making KCS years and years ago, hence the change. As far as the difference between AL classic and Royale, the Royale is made from a better quality cotton. The manufacturing process is the same, however. I got all this info directly from C & C, so I know it's accurate.

As far as quality, if you're going to put your heart and soul into this dress and want it to be heirloom quality, DMC Cebelia is a much better quality thread. JoAnn's and Michael's carries Royale, Hobby Lobby carries AL classic and DMC. For mail order, Herrschners has AL classic and DMC.

Hope this helps :hook

susan

Wow! Thanks for setting me straight on the Knit Cro Sheen! I really thought that they were still making it. Goes to show how often I actually buy thread. :blush

I agree with Susan on the DMC cottons; I like the Baroque, but haven't used the Cebilia yet. From what I hear, though, it's one of the best. I also like the Royale, but I mostly use the finer weights on that one.

Archived