Adding sleeves to sweater back

jingles96

Question

Hi - I'm working on my Olympics sweater and I'm puzzling about how to add the sleeves. The pattern says to continue in pattern until 36 cm (~14 in) are done then add 80 sc to both sides and contine in pattern until 56 cm (~22 in) are done, then finish off.

Um, how do I add 80 sc to the other side? I can visualize adding 80 sc to one side - just keep going after the row is done. But to the other side? Do I need to finish off and then start with 80 sc, work pattern, 80 sc?

I'm confused. :think It probably doesn't help that the pattern is in German, but I'm pretty sure I'm reading it correctly. I don't have the pattern with me, but I copy the relevant bits when I get home if it would help....

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

:think When it is time to add the sleeves, make a CH long enough to hold the 80SC then work back along it to the SCs you already have, then when you get to the end of that lot, do the same again and you will have a sleeve on both sides.

They will start on different rows but when the fronts are done, they will be the opposite so the number of rows evens out.

If you want them to start on the same row, just take a piece of the yarn and join into the last SC on the row (on the laft) and work your CH there, then when you get to the end of the existing SC, work across the CH.

You should now have a sleeve on each side.

Hope this is helpful.

Let me know if you need more help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:think When it is time to add the sleeves, make a CH long enough to hold the 80SC then work back along it to the SCs you already have, then when you get to the end of that lot, do the same again and you will have a sleeve on both sides.

They will start on different rows but when the fronts are done, they will be the opposite so the number of rows evens out.

Took me a minute to visualize that, but I get it. Makes sense. I'll think about that. :)

If you want them to start on the same row, just take a piece of the yarn and join into the last SC on the row (on the laft) and work your CH there, then when you get to the end of the existing SC, work across the CH.

You should now have a sleeve on each side.

Hope this is helpful.

Let me know if you need more help.

Have fun.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this one, but I think I can figure it out. I'll play around with this when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestions! :hug

:cheer Just lay the piece down flat with the place where the hook is on the right. Now take the hook out and a tail of your yarn and attach it to the opposite end of the work. Make the number of CH that you need and finish off.

Go back to the right hand end and do the chain there and work right across the whole lot. You will now have a T shape which is the two sleeves and the back of the garment. You should end up with 120 sts plus what you had on the back.

Check that 80 sts each side is the right number for you as you cannot shorten the sleeves easily when you make them this way, other than rolling them up.

As long as, if you make changes, you make the same changes on all pieces.

Clear as mud???

It is sometimes very hard to put something like this into words.

Because I do a lot of things without thinking about what I actually do, it takes a bit to explain my vision.

Just do it the first way if necessary, as long as you end up with 2 sleeves. That is the main thing.:hook

Have fun.

Archived