Yardage... or bulk?

noah_natalies_mommy

Question

I'm not sure if this is where this goes, but I'm putting it here.... O.k. here's my question (I'm sure it's been asked a dozen times, but I'm going to ask again).... I crocheted a sweater using L.B. Homespun, which is a bulky weight... it took me 3 skeins to make the sweater... each skein is 185 yards... which total's to 555 yards... if I buy 2 skeins of S.S. which totals 630 yards... will I be able to make the same size sweater with the S.S.... They are so different in bulk, but the yardage would be the same-- right??? z/ <---my son typed that... he says Hi!

4 answers to this question

Being that they are different weights, they will crochet up differently. Simply Soft is smaller than Homespun, so even once you got the correct gauge, you'd likely need more yarn. Honestly, what I'd do would be to take some SS I already had (because, you see, I am insane and always have that yarn laying around) and see if I could work out which hook to use to get the correct gauge, and then if it didn't look too funny (because if you wind up using a large enough hook you can get some pretty strange-looking fabric) I'd go buy three skeins of Simply Soft, just to make sure I had enough.

Archived