How to create spaces?

JCB

Question

6 answers to this question

Do you have a pattern or you recreating it with our own patten?

I make spaces but chaining the number of spaces I want after a stitch and then skipping the same number of stitches. I hope that makes sense.

Also I have used ribbon in crocheted work without making spaces. As long as I am working with dc or tr stitches, I can just weave the ribbon in between posts.

I hope that helps!

No, I don't have a particular pattern I am following. I'm just going to wing it. I plan to use half double crochet throughout. Not sure that will leave a large enough space.

I was thinking of just slip stitches to create a space?? Would that work? Or maybe doing one row of treble crochet, which would probably yield a large enough of a space. I guess I'll do a swatch to see what would work.

Joan

Do you have a pattern or you recreating it with our own patten?

I make spaces but chaining the number of spaces I want after a stitch and then skipping the same number of stitches. I hope that makes sense.

Also I have used ribbon in crocheted work without making spaces. As long as I am working with dc or tr stitches, I can just weave the ribbon in between posts.

I hope that helps!

I agree on both counts. Making spaces by chaining then skipping those is like what you might do for a buttonhole. But I guess if you're using hdc the ribbon would have to be pretty narrow or it would have a creased/puckered look.

As Crochetkel mentions, and it sounds like you were thinking anyway, it is easy to weave ribbon through the taller stitches.

It really depends on the look you want.

if you're doing half double you should be able to use a row of double instead of triple and get the space you need...

or you could try this: as you're going along doing your half double crochet, when you get to the spot where you would like a space to be just chain one or two (depending on how big you want the space, and then skip the next one or two double crochets in your base row and then place your next half double crochet thereby leaving a 'hole' or space where you put the chain. When you are working the next row and you get to the area where you chained, just work the double crochet into the chain and you should have a 'firm' hole or space. To make the spaces even just count like six half doubles, chain two, six half doubles, chain two, etc., for that entire row. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Good luck

If you do a row of double crochets or half double crochets, your ribbon will fit nicely, without making spaces. you would just weave the ribbon in between the stitches, like in this pattern: http://www.crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_ribbon_cloche.html

That's exactly what I wound up doing, and it looks fine. I tried doing a chain and skipping a stitch, but that left too big a hole. And I couldn't get the treble stitch to look right. The double crochet blends in pretty well, and there should be enough room to thread a ribbon through.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Joan

Archived