Help with finding the right yarn

lildumpling

Question

My son is planning to get married at the end of June. I would like to make him and his wife to be a nice wedding afghan for a keepsake. There seems to be more yarn that what I am familiar with purchasing, I usually buy from Michaels or at Wallmart. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality yarn to make the afghan with. I would like it to have a quality appearance. And I am hoping that this will be enough time for me to finish it.

Appreciate any advice with so many experienced crocheters here. :ty

7 answers to this question

There's a lovely wedding afghan in the State Fair Award Winning Afghan book. That's not the exact title, but I can't pull it out of my brain.

I looked it up it's Blue Ribbon Afghans from America's State Fairs : 40 Prize-Winning Crocheted Designs.

I don't know what that afghan was made from, but it may have been cotton.

Just getting back, since I am always working, however, the pattern is written in grams???, it is the wedding afghan pattern, by J.A.M.I. designs, (very beautiful) I guess I will ask the person at the craft store for help on getting the correct amount of yarn, however I was hoping to get a yarn that would not fade or loose its colors as the years pass, or they decide to wash it. Thread yarn sounds wonderful, since everything in thread yarn comes out just beautiful, but I think this pattern is for regular yarn.

And the cost? Well, as a Wedding gift and a Keepsake, I probably would not mind paying for a quality yarn if it is going to make a quality product.

I am not that experienced, but I am desperatly trying to learn all that I can about the craft, and I just have a burning desire to keep trying to make more projects. I just finished a book mark, (woo-hoo) and I am so proud of it.

I get exhausted just thinking of all the projects I want to make. :out I just want to say thanks for eveyones help. I really appreciate it and I enjoy reading all about crochet and feeling the upbeat spirit in CrochetVille.

You might want to visit a local yarn store as opposed to a craft store like AC Moore or Michaels. This is not to say that there is not nice yarn to buy at the craft stores, or that the employees have no knowledge whatsoever, but I think the employees at the yarn store may have more in-depth knowledge about more kinds of yarns. You may find a better selection, too.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what you decide!

When I shopped at a yarn specialty store, they said their yarn was a better quality. I went across the street to a Hancocks right afterward and did notice a difference. Of course Hancocks was about 60% less in price too.

As far a the color changing it may if washed alot or exposed to the sun. I think it depends on the pattern too. When I think of heirloom I think of the old things that were made of cotton and were either ecru or white and crocheted on those steel hooks.

Archived