n00b who needs help with rounds

SheWolf

Question

My problem is starting this afghan I want to make. I make 1 loop (ch 4 sl st into beginning ch 1) then the next instructions tell me to make a chain of 8, then make into a loop with another slip stitch. I just don't understand. Does anyone know where I can get a mpeg or photos of how it's supposed to go? For some reason reading it just isn't working for me.

I'm a very new beginner, so if you try to explain, pretend I'm 3 :lol:blush

7 answers to this question

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not 100% sure. It sounds like you sl st into the first of the eight chains. If your pattern is one that can be found online, I can take a look at it if you post a link; that'd make it easier.

:cheer Can you get your mummy to tell me more please?

She is the tall lady who lives in your house and she will be able to lift you up so you can read this.

But then I suppose a 3 year old is actually big enough to play with the computer on her own.:cheer

:think Seriously, Tell us more about the pattern.

:think Does it have like a figure 8 in the centre of it?

Sounds like so far, you are making a 4CH loop, then the 8CH is forming another loop so just SS to where the 8 CH starts.

This will make a figure 8 shape so if you can tell us what the next instruction is, we will be able to help.:yay

I eagerly await your next post.

Colleen:hug

If this is a copywrite violation, I'll change it.

Ch 4, join with a sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: (right side) ch1 loosely (counts as first sc of rnd) work 7 sc in ring, join with a sl st in beg ch-1 (8sc). Ch 1 loosely and mark this ch for first sc of next rnd. Do not turn.

Rnd 2:*Work (sc,hdc,sc) in back lp of next sc (for corner), sc in back lp of next sc; rep from * twice more, work (sc, hdc, sc) in back lp of next sc ( for last corner) sk next sc st (st that joined previous rnd), join with a sl st in beg ch-1 (marked ch) Ch 1 loosely and move marker up to this ch, do not turn.

Rnd 3: SC in next sc *work (sc, hdc, sc) in nect hdc (center stitch of 3st group at corner), sc in nect 3 sc; repeeat from 8 twice more, work (sc hdc sc) in next hdc(center st of 3 st group at last center), sc in next sc in beg ch-1. Chain 1 liisely and move marker up to this chain, do not turn

And I was looking at the Yellow Yarn Whooper ( I'm to lazy to find the link here. . . ) and it says :

Rnd 1: Ch2, 6sc in second chain from hook, join to first sc, ch1

So I have 3 loops (including on my hook) and I need to make 6 singles on the 2 that are my foundation. But that ends up making a really strange and thick circle. Now, I get that it is supposed to be the handle for the whip, (it's a present for my mom :devil) but it doesn't look quite right. . . :(

If someone has made this, mebbe they can tell me where I'm lost!

I don't know whether you're talking about the afghan or the Yellow Yarn Whooper, but you shouldn't have three loops on your hook for either of those.

For your afghan, you're not actually making a ch-8 loop. You're making 8 singles inside your original loop. The chain-1 counts as a single crochet. I have a photo, but for some reason it's turning out huge when I try to post it here (it's like the perfect size on Photobucket :think ). What you should have, however, is a square.

Here's what you want to do for the first row:

1. Make your ch-4 loop.

2. Ch 1 (and when they say loosely, they mean it, trust me), and make 7 singles inside the ch-4 loop. Sl st to the ch-1.

HTH!

1. Make your ch-4 loop.

2. Ch 1 (and when they say loosely, they mean it, trust me), and make 7 singles inside the ch-4 loop. Sl st to the ch-1.

HTH!

I was meaning the afghan, sorry

ok, so it's similar to a scalop egde? or like the tiny bra pattern?

I suppose it could be similar to a scallop...I'm not really sure though. I'd have to see the scallop pattern. :lol And I haven't made the tiny bra yet, either, although once I get to Hobby Lobby for the right size thread, I plan on making one or two.

The picture's still coming out way to big, so here's a link to it. I hope that works, at least, lol!

Archived