Help with blocking thread doilies

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, I searched and didn't find anything mentioning blocking LARGE thread items. I made my first doily last month and since I'm still a newbie to thread I used a size C hook so my doily is quite large. I am confused as how to block something big. Do I need to buy a big board or something or can I do it without pinning? Would a big piece of cardboard maybe work? Do I just steam it or put it in water? I don't really want it super stiff like my snowflakes, just enough to where it holds it's shape.

Thanks for your help!!!

3 answers to this question

I use styro board. I usually find it at Dollar Tree for $1.00 per sheet...then put contact paper over it to keep the other paper from getting so wet with the spray starch.

I use regular spray starch (in the can). It makes it stiff enough to hold a shape...but not like a board. Since I only have $1.00 in the styro board + the cost of the contact paper (a roll will do several boards)....then as they start to bend out of shape with continual use, I just trash and do a new one.

If my piece is too large for the board...I usually just pin half... starch... dry... and then turn the piece around and pin the other half.

Good luck!!!

I found myself with the same problem when I did a large doily (ended up tabletopper size) that called for #10 thread & I decided to use #3. I flattened down a large heavy duty cardboard box, strapped it with duct tape, (to keep it flat) & covered it with contact paper. It worked fine & I happened to have these things on hand.

Alosha

I covered a flattened cardboard box with wax paper (we don't have contact paper in the house) and that worked fine. I could put some templates for circles under the wax paper and still see them.

I just sprayed water on my mom's doily and let it dry.

Archived