Sleeves

kmadel

Question

:thinkI'm trying to make my own shrug (very basic), but can't get the sleeves right. I want them to taper down to the wrist, but can't get the increase/decrease-thing right no matter what I try. Is there any trick to figuring out how many times I need to either increase or decrease (depending on which direction I'm going -- wrist-to-shoulder vs shoulder-to-wrist) and how many rows to space the inc./dec.s apart from each other??

Very frustrated! :grumpy

Krista

:cat

3 answers to this question

I haven't ever done it, but I know it is a matter of math. You take the final shoulder measurement and the final wrist measurement and figure out the difference. Then you evenly distribute the difference over the length, if that makes sense. So in other words if you need to decrease 5" and your total length is 18", then you would need to decrease 1" every 3" and work straight for 3" at one end. If you go online and search sweater designer, there are free programs that help you figure the decreases. They are all for knitting, but you could just input your crochet measurements and it would probably work or at least give you a good starting point.

Another option is to look at a drop shoulder sweater pattern and work with their measurements, working your desired pattern stitch.

Hopefully, other designers will post their methods.

I never thought of it that way, since math isn't my strong point, but does make sense. Its better than the trial & error method I've been using, for sure!

:waving Thanks!

I never thought of it that way, since math isn't my strong point, but does make sense. Its better than the trial & error method I've been using, for sure!

:waving Thanks!

I am starting a shrug soon and was thinking the same thing! I just finished the "Eden" sweater (free pattern from Moda Dea) and I plan to use that sleeve pattern to go by.

Good luck to us both!:)

Archived