Joining Hexagons Help

mwedzi

Question

Hello, Everybody. I am thinking of making an afghan with hexagonal pieces. I would join the pieces on the first row of hexagons at the points. This would leave some empty space in the shape of a triangle. I want to fill in that triangular space with white crochet, but I'm having difficulty in finding a way to do it. I'm posting a link to a pdf of a (very bad) drawing I did. Please imagnine that I drew well and that all the hexagons are of the same size. Then where I drew the wavy lines, that's the part that would be empty space but which I want to fill in with white crochet. Can anyone suggest how to do it?

Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/mwedzi/2006.02.04.PDF

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Thank you for that link. But when I looked at the diagram, it still had those open empty spaces that I want to get rid of. I fear I am not explaining clearly, so I will post a link to another drawing I made. I would like the bottom row to be straight and flat across, not staggered because of the joining of the motifs. So I would need to somehow fill that in. Here is another drawing to try to show what I mean:

http://www.geocities.com/mwedzi/2ndPic.PDF

I think what you need to do is design a half-motif to fit in the space and do enough of them to go around. Then you can just sc around the entire edge to finish it off.

I think what you need to do is design a half-motif to fit in the space and do enough of them to go around. Then you can just sc around the entire edge to finish it off.

That's correct. I know I've seen patterns done this way, but do you think I could find one to show you? Oh well.

:think If you use a six sided shape, (hexagon) you can fill the diamond shaped space left with a circle.

One of the first Crochet garments that I made, about 40yrs ago, was a Tabard style top, in Hexagons, in cream, green and orange. The fill in circles were cream. It looked really great but I do remember thinking that I was never going to get it finished.

If you do a 5 sided shape, (Pentagon) you can join them directly to each other so it is a good idea to make the centres the feature of the piece and build your other colours around them.

Then you need to do the half pieces to fill in the sides and ends if you want straight edges.

Hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived