how did you learn to make crochet hooks?

shelain22

Hi, I just started trying it. I expect to make mistakes and to have to make changes in design. The part of getting the hook to stay in is easy with hot stuff glue. It is a cyanoacrylic and I use the super gap filling and then use a shot of accelerator so I don't have to sit holding it for a long time. I am trying some other ideas for interchangable hooks. I also enjoy the making of hook cases. I have not tired the really fancy round hooks yet and some of them are beautiful. Anyway, just give it a try and see what happens. By the way, I do cut the hooks off before putting them into the handle.

Brian

but how do you get the hook In there? Do you drill a hole up th emiddle? What do you mean by fancy round ones? (I sound more like an idiot with every question!) by round are you talking abou the handle of the hook? what kinds of wood can you use/not use?

shelain22:

I'm sorry but there's not enough space to begin to explain. You'd need a lot of equipment, tools and time to experiment.

How did you learn to crochet? There was an interest, a challenge to learn and rewarding results (hopefully?). It comes down to experience and for that you need time.

BrianC:

Your work is lovely. Just keep in mind that they are tools. You will get to the point where you can make "round, fancy ones"...it will come sooner than you think if you persevere. It's trial and error with a lot of creativity :)

If you have any questions...my hubby would be glad to try and help.

It's just important to remember to have fun at it...

hmmmmm i thought i posted something in this thread yesterday. Must have erased it. Ok. So what's it take to be a hook maker? Well.. if you're making wood/metal hooks all you need to do is bore a hole a little larger than the hook handle, put a bit of glue in the hole (i use two part epoxy), poke the handle in the hole and let the glue dry.

The not so easy part is shaping the handle. Mine have evolved with time and lots of practice. I always take special care in selection of the wood and orientation of the surfaces and grain with respect t the hook.

But its all easy; just cut away all the wood that doesn't want to be a hook and that isn't comfortable , make it so smooth you hate to put it down, and you're done. Cinchy.

There are a lot of different ways to go about making hooks. If you are talking about learning to do the turned hooks then you need to plan on setting aside about $3-500 to buy the lathe and tools and then close to that much in kindling, excuse me, practice wood that will be messed up. Then you need to spend some time just turning and learning how the tools work and how finishes work. Then you can get fancy.

The flat handle hooks can be done with a little less outlay. You would need a coping saw with fine blades, a small hand drill, a bench vice that can be mounted to a table top or desk, and a bench pin of somekind to facilitate the use of the coping saw. You also need a full range of sand papers and a drill set. Cutting the hooks off is a little more problematic but could be done with a jewlers saw. I suspect that you are looking at aroung $100 for the tools on the cheap and more otherwise.

For the flat handle hooks I use the band saw ($400) and a bench sander ($100) to get the basic shape. I then mount a sanding drum in the lathe ($300) to do the initial sanding. I then use a flexible shaft machine ($75-400) to drill the hole in the handle and then use it to cut the hook to length. Then I use various grits of sand paper to get it to the smoothness I want without the scratches and finish it. Depending on the wook I may take the sanding through the grits to 1500. Now, I use these things to make my life easier and I have them. If I didn't have them I would use small saws and the coping saw (actually I would use a coping blade in a jewlers saw frame) and cut the blanks that I use to size and then sand and shape by hand. This is very satisfying but a little slower. Also, handles like the spalted maple come in the form of "pen" blamks so the have to be resawn before there can be any shaping. Resawing by hand is more difficult than just cutting the shape because you want to keep the cut an event thickness and very streight. Not always easy to do, expecially in very hard or soft woods.

If you like to crochet and just want a nice hook you may be better off buying one. If you enjoy working with wood, go for it. If you don't know, try it, you may find a new craft that you really like.

Being a bit facetious in my response, above.... Brian is right.. it takes some tools and practice. As to whittling, I'd add that an extremely sharp knife is essential (and you'll likely need more than one). I rough hooks out with my Buck folding knife, because i like the heavy blade, then for the fine work i use a couple of Swiss carving knives. The tools aren't cheap, but the cost is a bit less than power tools. But add a chunk of your start up expense for quality sharpening stones or wheels. I use a pair of Japanese water stones and a leather strop, and low speed wheels on a grinder for my knives.

Oh, and "Bandaids". You'll need a good supply.

And Brian's smack dab on regarding practice too. In fact my small business name is "Fahrwood". Fahrwood's what you get when you make the tinyest slip and cut the head off your otherwise pristene hook.

But it's all worth it. When one comes out good and it feels like therapy to your hand.... Oh its just a very nice experience.

Archived