Granny stitch border on a single stitch item.

LadyBeBop

Question

I hope y'all understand what I'm talking about.:)

I'm starting an afghan, all in single crochet, and I want to edge the afghan in rows of granny square stitches. I've seen examples of this, and I like it. It seems easy enough. However, I don't exactly know how to start this. Previously, with other items, I've tried double crocheting around, then doing granny squares. It worked somewhat with a smaller scarf, but didn't with a larger afghan.:angry

Also, should I have a certain multiple of stitches across and a certain multiple of rows? I haven't started this yet, so I can easily fit the pattern (actually graph) to any multiple of rows and stitches.

As always, many thanks. :hug

7 answers to this question

um you have lost me bobop, I am all shook up!

Do you mean to do the afhgan in rows or are you doing this in rounds?

Or do you mean you want a solid middle bit, and rows of granny squares arround the outside?? If this is what you mean, I would do one row of sqaures as a base then work up from here.

mmm I think this is getting more complicated as I try to explain. Is it the reverse of this?

http://www.yarncat.com/babygrannyblanket.html

Rats I knew this woud be hard to explain. :thair

OK, let's take the baby afghan and assume that the 25 granny squares sewn together was one big square of single crochet. I still want to make the edging as shown on the afghan. How is this done? I've seen it elsewhere. :help

Funny I wondered if that a what you meant in the first place and deleted it.

this is simply 3 treble in the one space, one chain, miss one or 2 stitches then 3 treble in the next space. I think you call treble double crotchet? When you get to the corner do 3 treble 2 chain 3 treble in the corner stitch so as to mitre it. Then contineu up that side, till you get to the next corner.

Always start with 3 chain as the first stitch, and then slip stitch into the 3rd chain when you finish the round.

Does that make sence?

Does that make sence?

Yes, except I'd do double crochet rather than treble. Still, would you do it that way on the first round? Each subsequent round, yes I'd do it. It's just the first round in which it's all single crochet. To me, it's hit and miss on how many stitches to miss and how many chains to crochet.

If your middle is all single crotchet then do 3 in a stitch, chain one, miss three, and then three in the next stitch. You can tell after you have done a few as to whether they will sick flat or pucker. I would experiment cos this will depend on your tension. In my head, I usually try and end up with as many stitches across as in the base row.

So if you base row is 80 single crotchet, then try 3 dc + 1 chain (4stitches) times 20 repeats That is 3 dc in to one stitch, miss 3.

If that doesnt work, try doing a plain 1double crotchet in one stitch, three times, chain one miss a stitch.

I hope this is making some sence to you.

I would suggest that, if you are working the centre in rows, you work a round of SC around the edge making 1SC into each stitch and 1SC into each row end, with 3SC into each of the 4 corners. ( Count the Sc to make sure you have the same on each side) Join with a ss, CH3 (to stand as 1DC) work 2 more DC into the same place, skip 2SC, 3DC into next SC. Work in this manner to the centre sc of the corner, work 3DC, CH2, 3DC, into the corner.

You will need to give or take a little to fit the, preferably skip 1 only if necessary, occasionally to fit the stitches evenly along the sides. (better a bit loose rather than a bit tight.)

The main thing is to get the same number on each section so it stays square.

Work another round by ss to the first space between groups, then carry on as normal.

The best that can happen is, you get it right, the worst is, you unravel and start again, but as someone else said, you will see after a few feet, if it is going to sit OK.

Hope this makes sense because I have had a busy day with Grandchildren and it is very hot and humid so the brain is a bit fried.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjf-bafg.html?noImages=0

I was just looking at the Lionbrand page and I found this afghan. It has a very similar edging to what you are wanting plus the centre is made from SCs made in strips of squares.

It has a different first round to the one I suggested but it looks very easy.

Thank goodness it is a bit cooler here now as it is almost 8.30 Friday evening and there is a little breeze.:hug

Archived