Patterns Found

My MIL died in August and we are currently cleaning out her house. Last night I found two interesting pattern books which probably belonged to her MIL (my DH's paternal grandmother).

First is a booklet called "Let's Crochet", Star Book No. 209, American Thread. No copyright date, but since the price is 50 cents, and one of the patterns is for a mini-dress, I'm guessing late 60's.

The other book is "The Gypsy Vest Accessory Book II by Jack Frost" copyright 1970. About 7 items are crochet and 8 are knit. I am sure that I saw several very similar vests in the store in the last six months so it just shows that in fashion what goes around, comes around.

I am so excited to have these two books just as a connection to a woman I never met. I'd really like to make one of the vests in memory of her.

Has anyone else found (unexpectedly) older patterns or yarn? Did you feel the connection to the person?

When my Grandma died 1.5 years ago and we were cleaning out her house, I ran across a small box full of colored size 10 thread balls. She had them in a stack of yard sale things with a $4 price on them. They're beautiful shades. I was just getting back into crochet and thinking about doing thread crochet, so I packed them away. I've made a few doilies and bookmarks with the thread since then and have lots left over. I think about her everytime I open the box bc it smells like her house.

To my knowledge she never crocheted, just sewed (she was an awesome seamtress - made several lovely designer-esque gowns for herself & my mother), so I'm not sure why she had the thread - unless somebody gave it to her for free. She was BIG on the free thing. :)

If it helps you date yours, I have the Star Beginners Book Issue #122. I checked it, and it was published in 1955. My book is from my late grandmother's crochet stash, and is probably the oldest crochet magazine that I have in my collection. My grandmother paid a quarter for this magazine when she bought it in 1955.

I Googled the title of yours, and could not find a date of publication for yours, but I could see the picture of it...if it's the same one it has some guy in an orange (red?), white, and purple sweater on the front, with a woman standing behind him in the background?? http://www.biblio.com/books/3453109.html

I'd probably date it as early 1960s...but more likely I think that it's late 1950s, just by looking at the clothing and hairstyles of the people on the cover.

I'm really jealous that you've got an original copy of the Gypsy Vest Accessory book. (those are the patterns that were on the now defunct Groovy Crochet website) I've been searching all over for a copy of that. You should probably, when you're not using it, keep it inside a comic book bag (special bags collectors keep their comic books in...helps keep the acid in the paper and ink from breaking down) That will also keep the books clean and help them to last longer

Donna- when you mentioned feeling a connection to a person through yarn/patterns, you reminded me of two old Coats & Clark books my SIL gave me. I'm not sure exactly who they belonged to though she wrote her name on them. Everytime I go through them, I wonder how "Callie" managed to read that tiny print:)

Alosha

Last summer I found a sweater pattern book that my mom has had for many, many years. I have a sweater she knit for me out of that book. It was a neat find.

My DH's maternal grandma gave me an old pattern book which has both English, Chinese and Japanese language in it. It is printed in Japan year 1969. I felt so happy and grateful she gave me the book as she said no one in the family crochets except her and she still crochets cellphone cozies and hotpads. She's already in her mid-80's and can still crochet with thread beautifully. I've been giving her some threads whenever we visit her. :-))))))))))

Archived