Premie Hat -- help

clocke

Question

I'm not quite sure if I'm posting this in the right forum/sub-forum but...

I have a question about this pattern worked up from a craftown page. I followed the instructions with the same type of hook and yarn, and my FO (shown below) came remarkably close to theirs.

ppink3_1.jpg

But my circumference was only 8 inches. Looking at it on my desk, that hat looks frighteningly small. Is this correct? Do premies have heads this small for real?

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the responses, folks! I appreciate them. :hug

I checked on Bev's website. Wow. Premies are really small.

I've just started doing premie stuff myself and I had to check the measurements when I had done- I've made a cardi, hat and booties and when I've finished all of them I have measured them twice and double-checked with the measurement charts cos I just couldn't believe they would fit.

As someone whose daughter just had a baby two months premature in December let me say that preemies are small.

The hats I made him I was sure would be too small but they still fit him and he's up to almost 7 pounds now. He started out 3 lb 6 oz.

Just make sure you make them out of non-allergenic yarn - preferably COTTON. Preemies have VERY sensitive skin.

I had a preemie who weighed 3' 9" and was allergic to EVERYTHING but cotton. Acryllic left him with nasty rashes within minutes. He even had reactions to surgical tape.

Archived