Base Chain Help Tunisian and others

sammimag

Question

Hi all,

This is getting confusing for me.

I get how to do the tunisian stitch but my pattenrs says that I should chain 25sts for the base chain but that I should then have 25st/squares to do the cross stitch on. I am not finding that to be the case. I now have 24sts/square across the bottom.

It seems to me if I want 25st/square grid then I want to chain 26st, right? So should the patterns have read chain 26st or chain 25st plus 1 or is this something I should just know?

Also, you can find information on the required base chains needed for fancy stitches but not for basic stitches like sc, dc, et... (or at leas I am finding it har to locate the info)

As far as I can figure experimenting for dc if you want to end up with 10 dc then you need a base chain of 10sts plus 2, for single crochet you need a base chain of 10sts plus 1.

Make sense?

Samantha

5 answers to this question

As far as I can figure experimenting for dc if you want to end up with 10 dc then you need a base chain of 10sts plus 2, for single crochet you need a base chain of 10sts plus 1.

Make sense?

Samantha

The rest of your message is correct. The pattern either calls for the wrong count on the beg chain, or the stitch count is wrong. I'd check the stitch count in your subsequent lines to find out.

The chains for dc and sc depend on if you are going to count the turning chain as a stitch or not. If you are then dc is +3 and sc is +2. If not, then yes, dc is +2 and sc is +1.

Glad I'm not totally crazy on the tunisian crochet count.

The chains for dc and sc depend on if you are going to count the turning chain as a stitch or not. If you are then dc is +3 and sc is +2. If not, then yes, dc is +2 and sc is +1.

This still isn't making sense to me. I just looked at the Crochet Answer Book and finally found the info I was seeking. It still doesn't add up to me. It says to chain the number of stitches I want in a finished row then add 3 if If I'm doing dc.

If I chain 10 plus 3 then do dc across the chain I will get 11 dcs not 10 dcs. If I chain 10 plus 2 then I will get the 10 dcs.

If I chain 9 plus 3 then I would get 10 dc because I would do 9 dcs in to the 9 sts and the plus three would be the first stitch.

Maybe it doesn't matter? If get even rows and get the number of stitches I want would it matter how I'm counting it? Then if I were to make a pattern it would be a matter of explaining it?

Samantha

Do you think you have that reversed?

Because I get dc is +2 and sc is +1 if you are counting the turning chain and dc is +3 and sc is +2 if you are not counting the turning chain.

So here’s what I do which is number of chains plus 2 for dc So if I want 10 dc I add 10 plus 2 to get a foundation chain length of 12.

xxo – the first dc row

ooo-turning chain (could also be a part of the foundation chain)

xxx-dc

Chain #9 is the 4th chain form the hook

So three rows would look like this:

x x x x x x x x x o

x x x x x x x x x o

x x x x x x x x x o

------------------

o x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x

-------------------

x x x x x x x x x o 12

x x x x x x x x x o 11

o o o o o o o o o o

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

If I did total # of stitches wanted +3 I get 11 total stitches (If plan is to count all the stitches)

The 4th chain form the hook is chain stitch number 10:

x x x x x x x x x x o

x x x x x x x x x x o

x x x x x x x x x x o

--------------------------------

o x x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x x

----------------------------------

x x x x x x x x x x o 13

x x x x x x x x x x o 12

o o o o o o o o o o o

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

If I chain 10 +3 and do not plan on counting the turning chain and I do want 10 chains I will count this is what I would get:

--x x x x x x x x x x o

--x x x x x x x x x x o

--x x x x x x x x x x o

o x x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x x

---------------------------------------

--x x x x x x x x x x o 13

--x x x x x x x x x x o 12

--o o o o o o o o o o o 11

--1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

So if I only wanted to do ch2 to for turning chain wouldn’t it look like this? I would for my first row go into the third chain form the hook instead. Then all my turning chains (since the first stitch in the first row is like a turning chain) would be consistent. If I’m right then if you are going to do ch2 for your turning row then the formula would be number of stitches wanted plus 1

xx=dc

oo=turning chain

ox = first row dc in foundation chain

x x x x x x x x x o

x x x x x x x x x o

-------------------------------

o x x x x x x x x x

o x x x x x x x x x

x x x x x x x x x o 11

o o o o o o o o o o

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10