Newsboy Cap pattern questions

liss

Question

Pattern:

http://www.freewebs.com/jrcldesigns/free_patterns/newsboycap.htm

Well, these questions may be silly because I am not very experienced at chrochet yet, but I have searched all over & cannot find these answers. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here goes,

1) what does the treble in brackets mean beside all dc's?

ex) Ch 3, dc (tr) in same st. 2 dc(tr) in next st, ch 1, *2 dc(tr) in next 2 sts, ch1. etc.

2) Rnd 3, am confused about this term "dc(tr) to last st in group"?

have tried to figure what the "last" stitch is, but it's just not working so far

I'm stumped, & I'm sure it's something simple!

Thanks,

Liss

7 answers to this question

i would say from experience that they have given two sets of instructions. i learnt last year when i started to crochet that dc in the states is tr in the uk where i am. it well confused me at first. sc is dc so if you want to do the pattern the states way which most patterns seem to be given in you do dc double crochet stitches. :hook hope this is understandable for you now. :)

thank you for your quick reply! that does help to clear up the dc vs tr question, thanks a bunch.

still trying to wrap my head around what that instruction to "dc to last stitch in group" in rnd 3 means... I'll keep pondering that one :think

2) Rnd 3, am confused about this term "dc(tr) to last st in group"?

have tried to figure what the "last" stitch is, but it's just not working so far

I think what it means, is on round 2 and 3 you are crocheting 2 dc into a single stitch (this is the group it is talking about) so you would place 2 dc into the 2nd dc of the previous row's set of 2 dc.

Thanks crochet smartcat, that's what I was guessing too. Have played with this pattern a few more times today, but still having issues. I'm stuck on the 4th round where the pattern says to keep doing rnd 3 until you have clusters of 16 dc, but I'm not even 100% sure that my rnd 3 is correct as it doesn't state how many clusters I should have in each rnd going forward (& to be honest, I can't tell if my clusters are lined up right). Whew! This is getting confusing!

Thought this one looked simple enough, but I think I may just have to find another pattern :(

The answer as Mercy 7 says. The UK stitch is a Treble, you call it a Double Crochet.

In NZ, we use mostly UK patterns but I find it is very easy to think TR when I read DC if the pattern is from the USA.

Here is the comparison for future reference:

SS = Slip Stitch Same in both USA & UK.

SC = Single Crochet in USA = DC in UK.

DC = Double Crochet in USA = TR, Treble in UK.

TR = Treble Crochet in USA = DTR, Double Treble in UK.

And so on......

You say Skip, we say Miss, we usually say 4 CH, where you usually say CH 4. Sometimes the wording is a bit different but with careful reading, can usually be worked out.

Japanese patterns converted to English by a Japanese speaking person can be very humerous as I guess would be the case in reverse.

Hope this is helpful.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks for the run down on the conversions Colleen! I'll keep an eye out for those Japanese patterns (tee hee!)

I'm stuck on the 4th round where the pattern says to keep doing rnd 3 until you have clusters of 16 dc, but I'm not even 100% sure that my rnd 3 is correct as it doesn't state how many clusters I should have in each rnd going forward

I can't figure that one out either. Let me know if you do. I'll probably move on to one of the post stitch patterns even though I'm not in totally in love with any other designs.

Archived