Will this work???

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, I'm finishing up (really I am) the last of the presents as my in-laws will be coming over on Sunday to celebrate Christmas... I am trying to make this little football pillow into a larger one like for a bed or just even a throw pillow. If I simply multiply this by 4 will this work??? In theory it seems like it should but I want to be certain... If not, anyone have any idea how to make a larger football shaped pillow than this??? Thanks!!

6 answers to this question

A larger one might be a bit big for just "tying" off the ends like that. If I were to attempt it I would do it in rounds instead of rows.

A larger one might be a bit big for just "tying" off the ends like that. If I were to attempt it I would do it in rounds instead of rows.

How would I do that? I actually did try to do one on my own way before Christmas and couldn't figure out how to get it to look right so I tossed the idea and then realized, ooops, I didn't have a present for one of my nephews... He's extremely hard to buy for but loves football so I figured a nice pillow in the shape of one would be great....

Hmm...I'm at work so I can't play around to see what works.

You could even make a conventional "flat" pillow by just sewing together 2 identical football shaped flat pieces. That would be my lazy way out and it'd be simplier to design. It may actually work better since it won't end up being so bulky.

The way I would do it, is to make 2 flat pieces and sew them together. More comfortable to sit or lay against than a round pillow. To make the pieces, I would start with a chain about 4" shorter than I want the finished pillow to be, then sc along one side of the chain, 5 sc in the end, turn over and sc along the other side of the chain, again with 5 sc in the end.

Continue like this for several rows, then begin the shaping, find the center of the top and bottom and starting at the end, do __ sc, then more hdc, with 5-10 dc around the center stitch, then repeat the hdc and sc to the end, 5 sc in the end, repeat the same stitch counts for the bottom, continue until the basic shape is established, then you should be able to go around with sc, to finish size.

Sorry I can't be more explicit, but without working it and knowing how big you want the finished pillow, it is hard to figure out stitch counts. It will probably require a bit of playing and frogging.

The way I would do it, is to make 2 flat pieces and sew them together. More comfortable to sit or lay against than a round pillow. To make the pieces, I would start with a chain about 4" shorter than I want the finished pillow to be, then sc along one side of the chain, 5 sc in the end, turn over and sc along the other side of the chain, again with 5 sc in the end.

Continue like this for several rows, then begin the shaping, find the center of the top and bottom and starting at the end, do __ sc, then more hdc, with 5-10 dc around the center stitch, then repeat the hdc and sc to the end, 5 sc in the end, repeat the same stitch counts for the bottom, continue until the basic shape is established, then you should be able to go around with sc, to finish size.

Sorry I can't be more explicit, but without working it and knowing how big you want the finished pillow, it is hard to figure out stitch counts. It will probably require a bit of playing and frogging.

Thanks! Will give this a try! Hopefully it'll work as easy as it sounds! :hook

I just did a quick search and found this Stuffed Football Pillow that measures 11" finished, it is done in crochet thread, but says to try sport weight. If you use ww, increase the hook size to a G or H, and follow the instructions, it would come out bigger than 11", but I don't think that would be a problem, for what you are wanting.

Archived