Yarn question

Terri

Question

I hope I'm in the right forum (guess you can tell, I'm new :nworthy).

:sher My question is that there are several patterns I'm interested in and many authors/designers list only one specific yarn - many of which I'm not familiar with. :confused

1) Is this common practice? If so why?

2) Is there a short-cut or a conversion chart so that I don't have to look up the specific yarn on the internet, then hunt other sites for yarn types that may be compatible & hope I'm close to the right type/gauge?

:U Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

6 answers to this question

I hardly ever use the exact yarn called for in a pattern. I'm not sure of a place that would give you a conversion chart, but if the pattern calls for a Worsted Weight, any WW would do, same thing for any other kind of yarn...

Maybe list a few of what you're looking for a I'm sure some of the very knowledgable people on here can help!

Hopefully, the patterns also list the weight of the yarn (worsted, DK, or what have you) or else have a little symbol with the weight. The latter is a little yarn skein with a number on it, if memory serves 1 is lace weight, 2 is fingering weight, 3 sport/DK, 4 worsted, & 5 chunky, but you'd have to check an actual yarn skein to be sure (actually, if your pattern book has that system, it probably also has a key in the back).

You can also get a general idea from the hook used in the pattern. Worsted weight generally calls for a G, H, or I, for example. The problem with that is that there's some overlap--lots of sport/baby weight patterns use G hooks, for example.

If there's no weight given, and you can't get a good hint by looking at the project or hook size, then yeah, you have to look it up online. Of course, the last time I did that (with a project from the 2006 Crochet-Pattern-a-Day calendar), even the yarn company didn't give a weight! :rant (In case you're curious, it was the 5 April pattern, "Beret", by Dorothy Matthews, & it worked up properly using worsted weight yarn.)

One of the on-line tools that I've found handy is the Yarndex which can provide a lot information on the yarn in question. This way I can try and match up with a simlar weighted yarn.

There are some variations within each weight class, Red Heart and Simply Soft are both Worsted Weight Yarns, but I use differnt hooks that are two sizes apart for the differnt yarns. So you just have to really check your gague or modify a pattern to fit with the new gague..

You can use two strands of worsted weight for the thicker yarns as I have done to get my stash down but I used the size needle called for. I check the ounces on a skein and go by that to buy the correct amount of yarn. The companys are reducing the weights of yarn now and I have a lot of old patterns so I have to be sure to count the ounces in the new yarn. Hope that makes sense. To me I prefer Caaron's Simply Soft for a lot of things. I also like Red Heart yarn it seems to be strong say for an afghan.

WOW! What great information. I knew I was doing right be signing up with the Ville. :yay Thanks for all your input.

Donnalynn2: I think when you make something it should be personal and use one’s own preference for yarn. I went through the hunt/search process to order yarn so now have plenty to keep me busy, I’ll know better to get some input beforehand next time.

Sabra: Good info., thanks. I’m pretty sure it was the Crochet-A-Day calendar that started my query, then ran into more of the same.

Dejhia: Wonderful resource! More time to crochet. :cheer

Mudpie: Makes sense. :blush

Hounddog: I’ve heard of pulling apart 4ply to use for 2 ply, why not the reverse? I guess the secret is to find something you like, that feels good/comfortable so you enjoy your efforts.

Archived