Can't figure out how to do this...

donnalynn2

Question

I am working on a pair of slippers following this pattern:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/hexslip.htm

Under the directions for the sole of the slipper I am very confused.

Row 2: Sc across, inserting hook in back loop of row 1 and unworked loop of foundation chain; ch 1, turn. (10 sc)

HUH? What in the world is this? I have never seen such a stitch before. I can do it, but it's not easy at all and after doing a couple, I can't quite understand what the purpose is of doing a stitch this way. Can someone help me figure this out? THANKS!

9 answers to this question

I think it means just work in the second chain of the turning stitch....so where you chained two for your first sc you just work a sc in there...never heard it phrased like that tho....:think

Had to really think on that one I did!:P

That's Helena's potholder stitch. That link will take you to a picture tutorial in the web archives. I hope it helps. The stitch makes a very thick spongy material. Good luck. :hook

I am working on a pair of slippers following this pattern:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/hexslip.htm

Under the directions for the sole of the slipper I am very confused.

Row 2: Sc across, inserting hook in back loop of row 1 and unworked loop of foundation chain; ch 1, turn. (10 sc)

HUH? What in the world is this? I have never seen such a stitch before. I can do it, but it's not easy at all and after doing a couple, I can't quite understand what the purpose is of doing a stitch this way. Can someone help me figure this out? THANKS!

I just gave it a try, Donna, it is a bit awkward but I think the point of the stitch is to make a nice, thick slipper bottom.

So, on that second row, when it says to sc across, they want you to insert the hook through both the back loop of the previous row and the free loop of the row before that, (which would be the free loop of the foundation chain), then YO and do your sc stitch.

Do the same for row 3. Then for row 4, insert the hook through the back loop of the previous row and the free loop of the row before that. You'll start to get a thick piece of fabric that will be cushy for the feet.

Does that help? It is kind of awkward but a pattern does form and you'll see the two ridges that you'll need to insert your hook through. I did have a little trouble on the ends so make sure to count the stitches to always have 10 across. Try that! :) Hope it helps!

wow i didn't know that myself and i couldn't work out some slipper patterns i had written like that so gave up. Now i think i'll give them a try again and see how i go. i think sometimes its easier to see it than to understand how some patterns are written. Thanks ladies.

Thanks ladies. I will try this again later today... I'm warning you though, if I don't get it I'm just doing a plain old SC! LOL (I'm using all black so it's very hard to see the stitches!)

That's Helena's potholder stitch. That link will take you to a picture tutorial in the web archives. I hope it helps. The stitch makes a very thick spongy material. Good luck. :hook

Thanks Dot... That tutorial was very helpful. It made sense turning the work vertical... I did about 5 rows and finally got the hang of it! Thanks so much... However, I really need to get these things done TONITE as they are going in my DH's stocking and it's going to take forever to make the right sized sole with this method... I'm going to have to improvise on this pair, but the next pair I make I'll use this stitch. You're right, they are very smoochy and soft using this method...

I gave up on this because as I went to assemble the darn thing it is extremely tricky as you are sewing a rectangle onto other shapes that don't fit quite right. If anyone has made this slipper and has a trick for sewing it together I'd be interested as I love the look of this slipper, but after spending about an hour trying to stitch the sole on only to find that I got it completely lopsided and not in anyway the right way, I threw it into my bag and gave up...

Donna there was a member of C'ville that recently did a show and tell of those slippers..... Thats how come I wanted to make them....maybe she can help?

Okay I searched I cant find it....:think But I know I thought COOL and bookmarked the page for the pattern....

Archived