Graph Afghan

badrhinogillett

Question

I am going to start on my first graph this week. Actually, I tried one years ago, got frustrated and threw it away...so, I guess I should say, I'm going to start my first graph ghan that I'm really hoping to complete!:lol I'll be doing it either in SC or HDC

I'm using this graph : http://www.breienmetplezier.nl/Breipatronen/vergrotingen/elmo.gif

My questions... starting at the bottom, for the area of Elmo's arm, can I carry the outline color across until I reach the body and then have another skein of the outline for the other side, or do I need 4 skeins of the outline black?

Should I have anohter skein of the background color for the area between his arm and body?

For his pupils, should I have two different skeins, or just carry the yarn across?

How do you decide what you carry across, and what you dont?

Any help would be really appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Hi Kathryn,

I will answer you questions the way I would do it.

Now as for carrying the yarn. The best way is not to carry for more than 6 sts and no less than 3. This way it will look good in the front and back.

I also use bobbins, that can be bought in Joann's, Michaels and most any place that carries yarn and stuff. You can also make them out of sturdy cardboard. Make them in the shame of an H, this way, you can wrap the yarn around this bobbin and not have to worry about having long tails of yarn from skeins.

The best thing, also is do not knot your yarn. when you add the new color, loop it over the hook and proceed with the sc as normal. Carry the tail through 3 to 6 stitches, this anchors the new color in and it is less that you have to weave in later. After 3 to 6 sts, cut the remainder of the yarn.

I used 2 skeins of the background one on each side of the figure. I would have a bobbin on each side for the black outline.

The red you can carry through, because it is not that many stitches before you need to use it again.

I hope this helps and feel free to pm me with any questions. I will gladly help you in any way I can.

If you go to this web, you will see my tinker bell afghan that I made. The finished project is on page 3. This is one of 3 I made.:hook

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6757&page=3&pp=30&highlight=Tinkerbell

Thank you very much! Your Tinkerbelle afghan is incredible!! You were a big help. I"m off to Michael's tonight for yarn and bobbins... I'm finishing up my Beth's Little Star, and the thought of being without a project is awful!:lol

I'm still intimidated by this whole thing, but with the instructions earlier from Roadrunner and now this from you, I think I may be able to get it done.... or, I'll have an awful lot of red scrap yarn!:lol

In my taz-ghan, I had a bobbin of yarn for all the small batches of color that were more than 3 stitchs apart. For the large expanses of the same color, I just used a skein. For the larger seperate color batches, I pulled about 4 yards of yarn out at a time. Worked out pretty well. For anchoring the yarn, I crocheted over the yarn for 4-6 stitches and left a 6inch tail that I later wove back into the afghan. I'm paranoid about the yarn coming loose during wear and washing.

As for the bobbins, I looked high and low in my local Michaels and couldn't find anything other than sewing thread or embroidery floss bobbins, so I cut up some thin cardboard. I thought about coming here and asking Mary Jo where she found hers, but I wanted to get started. :)

Hope this helps! :D

Thanks! Couldn't find Bobbins at Michael's, JoAnn's or Walmart tonight. But found out about a new yarn store in town that isn't open on Monday's. I will check it out tomorrow. Otherwise, my Mom found her yarn bobbins and I'll be seeing her on Friday. But that means 4 days with nothing to crochet! :eek What will I do with myself?:think

Archived