Extra stitches in the round

LadyTwilyte

Question

6 answers to this question

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e02343

I'm attempting to make a snout but I keep getting 28 sts at the end of the round when I'm supposed to have 24. Am I crochet in the wrong space at the beginning of each round? I'm about to scrap the whole project if I can't get past this part.:angry

Okay, to crochet in the round in sc, you will generally place your first stitch at the base of the chain 1 (chain 1 does not count as a stitch on any round), then you skip the stitch right before the chain 1 before you slip stitch to join.

This technique will give you a straight "seam". Also make sure that you are doing the right number of sc between the 2sc in next sc. I usually count in groups as I go around to help me keep the right number of stitches. Example: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next st, etc. (I would count 1,2,3,4. 1,2,3,4. With 1 & 2 being in the same stitch. You should end each round with 1 sc in each st (whatever number is supposed to be between the increases) before the join.

Let me know if any of this was unclear. Hope it helps. PM, IM or email me if you need more help.

Just a thought. Many times, people crocheting in the round will place a sc at the end of the round where one does not belong. It does look like too much space at the end, but that will add an extra stitch every round.

Archived