Felting 2 Wools Together

crochet smartcat

I bought some beautiful wool to make some felted slippers for my dad for christmas. I bought 1 brand for the upper and 1 brand for the soles. My question is: Can I felt the slipper whole, or is there a good chance they will felt at different rates and it would be better to felt them separately and sew them together after?

I really want these to turn out right the first time, simply because I can afford to redo them. What is the safest procedure? I think the two brands are Cascade 220 and Noro, however would have to check the labels to be sure.

Also, this will be my first felting project and I understand it is best if you enclose the item to be felted in a pillowcase. Question: can I put all the pieces (or both slippers) in one case, or will they felt together and it is better to do each piece in a separate case?

This is just my humble opinion, but, in my experience, Noro and Cascade do felt at different rates so you may want to sew together after felting. Also, you may need to be persistant and patient with the Noro... it can take longer than some other wools to finally felt.

I use the zippered pillow protectors to enclose the items I am felting. You can do them together but you will want to check periodically to make sure the peices are not sticking together.

Fulling/felting is very addicting! Enjoy!

Archived