What is a "s d c?"

faithpa76

Question

I'm looking at an older pattern - there are "s c", "d c", "d tr c" stitches (among others) - what is a "s d c"? Is it short for single double crochet - or hdc? I have no idea.

Anyone know?

9 answers to this question

Sdc must be single double crochet, this would only be in a pattern that was calling for several dc in one stitch, and then only 1 dc in next. Sometimes pattern writers, normally not professional one, do stuff like that, drives me crazy. A half double crochet (hdc) is just that. Stitches are stitches, never assume something different. If there is a non traditional stitch the pattern will detail it for you. Any stitch advice, go to http://www.stitch guide.com excellent sorce for begginers, and us oldies as well.

Guest Crafterlady46

s d c = short double crochet

You notice the s if for short not single. Hope this helps.

Yarn over hook, insert in loop, pull loop through, yarn over and pull through all loops at one time.

It's the same as Hdc.

Do you have the Encyclopedia of Crochet, Faith?

I misidentified the stitch I was trying to explain - it's actually called the "Shallow Stitch Family" and you can find it on page 135 of the Encyclopedia...

No, I don't. I've been eyeing it for awhile but it's not yet part of my collection. Thanks though! :)

In modern patterns, sdc can mean short double crochet, shallow double crochet, spike double crochet, single double crochet, and probably more.

Old patterns have different names for stitches than what we use today. For example, a single (sc) is our slip stitch (ss), a double (dc) is our single (sc), a short treble (s tr) is our half double (hdc), a treble crochet (tr) is our double crochet (dc), a double treble (d tr) is our treble (tr). These change over the years, but here's a good source for old stitch explanations. http://www.crochettreasures.com/vintagestitches.htm However, it doesn't mention sdc anywhere. :( I feel like I've seen sdc in an old pattern and it was the same as our hdc. I'm not positive, though.

Most of the vintage patterns I've seen online have a stitch explanation somewhere either on the pattern or on the site.

There is such thing as a single double crochet....no i am not sure if the pattern is refering to this "odd" stich or had something else in mind like "hdc" but here are the directions for the "SINGLE DOUBLE CROCHET" atitch

insert hook in the stich or chain below and yarn over hook pull yarn through

so far like single

then yoarn over hook and pull through one loop on hook not both then yarn over hook and pull thru the last 2 loops ....there you have it a single double crochet

kor

There is such thing as a single double crochet....no i am not sure if the pattern is refering to this "odd" stich or had something else in mind like "hdc" but here are the directions for the "SINGLE DOUBLE CROCHET" atitch

insert hook in the stich or chain below and yarn over hook pull yarn through

so far like single

then yoarn over hook and pull through one loop on hook not both then yarn over hook and pull thru the last 2 loops ....there you have it a single double crochet

kor

In modern terminology, the stitch you're describing is also referred to as an "extended single crochet" and in fact, you can "extend" any stitch by pulling thru one loop first before executing the stitch as normal. These stitches will extend your row height w/o changing the look of the pattern too much.

Archived