Felting?

JCB

Hi...

I'm new here, and I have recently become intrigued by the look of felting. I've done one piece... an eyeglass case... and while it did felt, I can still see the texture of the stitches (I ran it through the washer twice). I'm not sure if that's good or not. I tend to like the look of felting that does not show that it's been crocheted (or knit). I've been using yarn that a friend gave me. She is a machine knitter, and this yarn was used for that. It is 100% wool. Does the thickness of the yarn matter... is thicker or thinner better?? Also, what about the stitches used. My eyeglass case was done in single crochet. Would double crochet or half dbl crochet felt up OK?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

JoanB

I haven't been felting long & this is what I have discovered so far. I have always used worsted weight, but different brands may felt differently. One I tried felted beautifully after 2 runs through the washer, another took 4. I like to use HDC for a total felted look. With DC, I can usually still tell it's crocheted & like it for a more textured look. Hope this helps a little. :)

Alosha

Yes.. that does help a lot! I made a couple of swatches and I keep throwing them in every time I felt something else. I don't want to send the glass case through again, because it's the perfect size now.

I started a purse in single crochet, but it's taking forever, and I'm runing out of patience with it. I may have made it too large. I think tonight I will unravel it and start over with half double crochet. Do you find that working with a larger hook will result in more even felt? I'm not using any pattern on these things, and finished size is not critical. A purse doesn't really have to 'fit'.

Thanks!

Joan

P.S. Ooops! Sorry I originally posted this in the wrong section. I didn't even realize there was a forum devoted to felting. Off to read all the posts.

I crocheted & felted a couple of project tote bags using a "K" hook & hdc. Got a nice, tight felt. Whenever I try a different brand of wool, I make 2 swatches & felt one. Gives me an idea of the felted appearance as well as approx percentage of shrinkage.

Warning: felting is addicting!

:)Alosha

I read somehwere over the course of posts here that using a larger hook will result in more agaitation of the fibers, and therefore more shrinkage. :hook

Absolutely right.

It's a balance to strike between too loose and too tight. The yarn needs a little space to get cosy with neighboring yarns!

In the case of the eyeglasses case, probably SC did not allow for enough movement between the fibers. In the bags I have been making, I use HDC.

I've felted bags out of worsted and out of bulky (I almost exclusively use Lamb's Pride). Both worked very well, but I noticed that worsted shrinks more, but also the stitches disappear better.

Lambs Pride consistently felts very nicely. Other yarns can have variable success. My faves are the "roving" type or loosely spun yarns. Hand spun yarn from Uraguay and bought on Ebay is wonderful.

Larger hook is a good thing. I use a K hook with the worsted weight LP and for areas that I want a smooth, stitchless look I use an alternating single/double/single/double (what's that pattern called???). The stitches completely dissappear

Larger hook is a good thing. I use a K hook with the worsted weight LP and for areas that I want a smooth, stitchless look I use an alternating single/double/single/double (what's that pattern called???). The stitches completely dissappear

Making the stitches disappear is the looking I am going for. Would you explain a bit more about the single/double/single/double please. Are you alternating stitches in a row, or alternating rows.

Thanks!

Joan

Archived